• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

19.04 - dual boot installation error

joaoalexdias

Jul 8, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm trying to install pop os 19.04, on my laptop clevo/sager, I7-7700hq, GTX1060, on a dual boot system.
I have a 256GNvme disk were windows is installed and I want to install pop Os on a SSD disk, so I'm not sharing the same root disk, only the boot.

I've encounter several problems which I can share for general knowledge, the first was that I couldn't boot usb pen install, and after several trial and error, I found that my BIOS has a switch for the Nvidia mode MSHybrid or discrete graphics and when is in MSHybrid mode the installation probably wasn't detecting the nvidia card.

After that I was able to do a successful clean install, but I wasn't getting the dual boot loader at startup, so I try reinstalling it following the instructions in the pop os website, I created a new root partition, and after a huge struggle I was able to resize my windows efi in order to add the boot partition to the installation.
So I set 2 partitions one on the full ssd disk the root, and the other on Nvme windows efi for the boot.

Started okay but I got the hardware error installation already reported in this forum, sorry but I don't know how to retrieve the installation log after the error so I can't share it!

My usb pen was created in etcher, I disable the windows fast startup, my efi partition has 700M...

The strange thing is that it works well in a clean install.

I'm running out of ideas, and I don't want to give up pop OS, so please can I get some help?!

Thank you

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Two things: Is secure boot disabled? Did you try the Intel ISO? if that works you can install the NVIDIA driver later. sudo apt install system76-driver-nvidia

joaoalexdias

Jul 8, 2019
Hey!
Thank for your fast reply, yes the secure boot is disable, when I was having the usb flash booting problems, I tried the intel version and it booted but then freeze just a moment after started running the commands, was then when i realized that could be something to do with nvidia, after that I switch the bios to the Nvidia discrete graphics and went okay.

What is really awkward is the fact that if I do a clean install, without the boot it Finnish the installation successfully.
Could it be some writing restrictions on the uefi partitions?

Cause also I couldn't resize/edit the efi or system partitions using Gparted on the boot installation flash pen, I had to use gpart on the systemRescueCd on boot.

Also, which is the correct and latest instructions link for the dual boot installation from Pop OS, I found 2, one simpler only using the root partition and efi Boot, and other where we had to create several partitions?

Thank you

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
which is the correct and latest instructions link for the dual boot installation from Pop OS
I believe the Windows version should be fine for windows.
https://pop.system76.com/docs/dual-booting-windows/

Having said though, sometimes the windows EFI isn't sufficient for Pop also, so to achieve a successful dual boot you have to move the Windows bootloader into Pop's bigger EFI.

Run disks. You'll see two EFI partitions, the Pop EFI partition and the one for Windows. The Pop one is already mounted, mount the Windows one as well. Determine which it is and substitute /dev/sda2 if it is different. You need to confirm that because it might be nvme or something else. Then open it both in files (or you can do the next step through terminal if you prefer) you're gonna want to copy all of the contents from the windows efi partition (EFI/Microsoft) into Pop's (/boot/efi/EFI).

If you're Ok with Terminal it's as follows;

Code:
mkdir /mnt/tmp

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/tmp

cp -r /mnt/tmp/EFI/Microsoft /boot/efi/EFI
Then ensure Pop / Linux is the default kernel in /boot/efi/loader/loader.conf.

Do you want the menu to actually display with a timer, or do you want to have to hold a key during boot to switch OSs?

Last edited:

joaoalexdias

Jul 8, 2019
I believe the Windows version should be fine for windows.
https://pop.system76.com/docs/dual-booting-windows/
That's the one I followed, thanks.

Having said though, sometimes the windows EFI isn't sufficient for Pop also, so to achieve a successful dual boot you have to move the Windows bootloader into Pop's bigger EFI.
I resized the uefi partition to 700M

Run disks. You'll see two EFI partitions, the Pop EFI partition and the one for Windows. The Pop one is already mounted, mount the Windows one as well, usually /dev/sda2. Then open it both in files (or you can do the next step through terminal if you prefer) you're gonna want to copy all of the contents from the windows efi partition (EFI/Microsoft) into Pop's (/boot/efi/EFI).

If you're Ok with Terminal it's as follows;
In this case I can do a clean install, like I did before and copy the boot efi, right?
I actually did that when I had the pop clean install, but I was getting a error on the copy command, I realized later that was that microsoft was on capital letters.....

Then ensure Pop / Linux is the default kernel in /boot/efi/loader/loader.conf.
How?!

Do you want the menu to actually display with a timer, or do you want to have to hold a key during boot to switch OSs?
I rather go for the timer! :)

Thank so much!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
sudo cat /boot/efi/loader/loader.conf The output should be default Pop_OS-current. If you need to edit that just open it in Vim or Nano.

For the timer you'll need to edit /boot/efi/loader/loader.conf. Use sudo vim /boot/efi/loader/loader.conf. Add a new line under the default Pop_OS-current line with timeout 5 (or however long you want), then save and exit.
If you don't know Vim you could use Nano, or I'd be happy to help again.
You may need to run sudo kernelstub since you didn't actually edit the kernelstub config, I'm not sure that's necessary, but it won't hurt, then reboot.

Last edited:

joaoalexdias

Jul 8, 2019
And I go for a clean install right?

joaoalexdias

Jul 8, 2019
Cool, after work i'll try that!
I'l let you know how it goes!
Thank you!!!

joaoalexdias

Jul 8, 2019
Hey!

Just to let you know that the installation was a success and the boot loader is also working, the only difference in the the command you gave me was the uefi partition name cause the disk is a nvme.

Thanks again!
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8bg