• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Beginner 20.04 no audio

MotaBreth

Jul 30, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I've recently installed Pop OS 20.04 after moving over from Win10, and I'm not able to get any audio output from either my speakers (plugged into the back panel) or my headphones. I've done a lot of googling and followed a lot of advice from posts but I'm not really getting anywhere.

I can see my input/output devices in pavucontrol and alsamixer, and nothing is muted. I've followed the advice on the system76 support page and various other places but still no luck. I even re-installed from scratch earlier.

When I did my initial install I had audio via my headphones only. In my attempts at fixing the issue with my speakers I managed to stop the headphones working too. I've since completely re-installed Pop, and also tried live USBs of Fedora & Manjaro, and I get no audio with those either.

Can anyone help?

Edit: I'm still dual booting with Win10, and audio is working fine there (if it's relevant)
Edit 2: the card/chip is HDA Intel PCH Realtek ALC898 according to AlsaMixer

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Looks like the ALC898 has content protection technology baked in.

The ALC898 is a multi-channel High Definition Audio Codec with Realtek proprietary loss-less content protection technology that protects pre-recorded content while still allowing full-rate audio enjoyment from DVD audio, Blu-ray DVD, or HD DVD discs.
ALso looks like the drivers are "keep update to kernel upstream". https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software

Try updating to a newer kernel first. If that doesn't work, try installing the drivers directly. You can use this tool to upgrade the kernel. Maybe start at 5.6.19. If that doesn't help, go to 5.7.10.

If a new kernel doesn't fix it, try and older Pop 18.04 LTS. It has been linked many times here lately.

MotaBreth

Jul 30, 2020
Looks like the ALC898 has content protection technology baked in.

ALso looks like the drivers are "keep update to kernel upstream". https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software

Try updating to a newer kernel first. If that doesn't work, try installing the drivers directly. You can use this tool to upgrade the kernel. Maybe start at 5.6.19. If that doesn't help, go to 5.7.10.

If a new kernel doesn't fix it, try and older Pop 18.04 LTS. It has been linked many times here lately.
I've tried the two kernels that you suggested but still no change. I tried to install the drivers using this guide, but they fail to compile.

MotaBreth

Jul 30, 2020
Yep, when I try to compile I get the error below:

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.7.10-050710-generic'
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/confdata.o
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/expr.o
LEX scripts/kconfig/lexer.lex.c
/bin/sh: 1: flex: not found
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.host:9: scripts/kconfig/lexer.lex.c] Error 127
make[2]: *** [Makefile:588: syncconfig] Error 2