• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

2021 Screenshot Thread

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Posting Guidelines

Do not post full resolution screenshots directly to this thread! You're welcome to post full resolution screenshots, as long as they're posted as thumbnails. Please be courteous and remember that not everyone has great internet.

You're also welcome to use a third-party image host and simply link here, or use the "thumbnail for forums" option available through most image hosts.

If your screenshot includes wallpaper (or other imagery) that is not safe for work, do not just post it to this thread. Either wrap the image in spoiler tags or only post a link to your preferred image host. In either case, clearly mark it as not safe for work. Any posts which don't follow these guidelines will be removed without notice!

We highly recommend neofetch to display the WM/DE and system setup you are using in your screenshots. It is available in the repos and can be installed by running apt install neofetch from the terminal.

Repost. It said my app view and empty desktop screenshots were too large to post, but here's my activities and files/neofetch. I installed the oreo cursors, which you can't see, and I also added the dynamic panel transparency, app indicators and dash to dock extensions. Everything else is stock. I usually have signal, slack, mattermost and electronmail stacked in their own workspace. Middle click to minimize. Natural scrolling. I wanted to keep as much of the stock pop look as possible while also making it look cool and new....

Attachments

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
View attachment test-desktop-2.jpg

After I broke the last test machine installation, this is what the new one has morphed into. I've been playing with SpaceVim, which I think has been the main influence to how this is going so far. Once I break this installation, I probably won't continue with SpaceVim, but it's been an interesting experience. It would be fantastic if someone began their editing journey with it. There's a lot of functionality built in, but it's use of the space bar takes a little extra getting used to for a regular Vim user. I think swapping full time would be a learning curve I don't really need to engage in.

Top picture is my very plain desktop with one of Pop's wallpapers. Alacritty window with Neofetch. It's stock Pop dark theme. I use Zsh (Z shell), with Zprezto framework and pure zsh theme modified a little.

Mid picture is Alacritty running Cmus player, which I tweaked the theme to suit the aesthetic. Alacriity with a SpaceVim instance for checking the Vim theme I just installed (seen in the Firefox window). Firefox with the Alpenglow theme, which is a default choice now. It's pleasant enough, but I wouldn't keep it in future.

The last picture is just a split SpaceVim window with Vimfiler to the right.

I'm enjoying this for now. I guess we'll see how long it lasts. My test machine is used for trying things out before I implement them in my good machine, or any business machines.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
For those interested in the new COSMIC GNOME extension by System76, here is a small sneak peak. There's quite a few videos online already, but this screen brings back memories for me. I used to have my dock on the right when I used OS X, and had it auto hide until needed. Notice the new icons for search (Pop-Shell launcher), workspaces and all apps.

It's a sneak peak, because it isn't released yet. I had to force update 20.10 to 21.04 on my test machine. Please don't do this on any machine you need to remain stable.

Screenshot from 2021-04-18 16-15-56.png

COSMIC will be officially released with 21.04. For those unable to wait, you can do what I did on a spare machine, or a VM. There may also be a beta test ISO release to you can just install the whole pre-release 21.04 for testing, but that isn't for certain yet.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awsumatt