• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

A few quick questions about settings

MostHated

Apr 18, 2019
Hello all,

• I am wondering how I can go about keeping notifications persistent until I clear them, or perhaps even save them all to a log I could reference later if need be? I was using KDE Plasma before this and I really came to like that they would stay there until I manually got rid of them.

• I was also wondering, why is it when I set update-locale LC_COLLATE=C the items with a leading underscore in their name for some reason go to the bottom and don't seem to care what order they are in alphabetically? Every other distro I have tried, settings LC_COLLATE=C puts underscore items at the top and in alphabetical order. I would definitely like to figure out what needs to be set for this to be the case as I often designate certain folders with underscore to stay at the top of long lists of folders.

• Another is, how do I change which terminal opens with the Super + T hotkey? I was wanting to use an application I found in the shop called Tilix in place of the default. The only option under shortcuts is what the actual key is:

Then under default applications, there is no option for terminal.​

• My last question is, is it possible to have a global middle mouse button down scroll? I know I can get the "AutoScroll" extension in the browser, but of course that only works in the browser in which you have it installed. Is there no built-in functionality for that?
Thanks,

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Hi and welcome,

First I'm not sure about the notifications because I have mine set to clear on shutdown and I have purge temp files on. Maybe one of the System76 devs can tell you where that log is located. Maybe another user can shed more light for you on notifications.

You can set custom keyboard shortcuts if you go to the bottom of that list and add one. I've got a few to open particular programs. You can create your own to open Tilix. I'm pretty certain Super + t is hard fixed to Terminal.
Making Tilix a default shell is possible. It should be something like chsh -s /usr/bin/tilix. You should have an entry in both /bin/tilix and /usr/bin/tilix in /etc/shells. You will need to log out and back.

Are you talking about "Natural scrolling"? There is a toggle in Settings>Devices>Mouse and Touchpad to change the scrolling direction.

MostHated

Apr 18, 2019
Hi and welcome,

First I'm not sure about the notifications because I have mine set to clear on shutdown and I have purge temp files on. Maybe one of the System76 devs can tell you where that log is located. Maybe another user can shed more light for you on notifications.

You can set custom keyboard shortcuts if you go to the bottom of that list and add one. I've got a few to open particular programs. You can create your own to open Tilix. I'm pretty certain Super + t is hard fixed to Terminal.
Making Tilix a default shell is possible. It should be something like chsh -s /usr/bin/tilix. You should have an entry in both /bin/tilix and /usr/bin/tilix in /etc/shells. You will need to log out and back.

Are you talking about "Natural scrolling"? There is a toggle in Settings>Devices>Mouse and Touchpad to change the scrolling direction.
Hey there, I appreciate the reply.

I can certainly set a new hotkey for the terminal, that is no issue, as it makes sense what you mentioned.
As for scrolling, I was referring to when you press and hold the middle mouse wheel button (not rolling the wheel) and then drag the mouse up or down to scroll faster than repeatedly rolling the wheel.

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
There's a symbolic link to /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator which determines which terminal will open when Super + T is pressed. You can change the default terminal, from the terminal, with sudo update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator.

MostHated

Apr 18, 2019
I appreciate the reply. After all was said and done, I ended up installing Yakuaku, which after some modification, I liked better, so I am going to have that use its own hotkey, and keep the default terminal as is, just in case of whatever.

Hopefully someone might end up having some insight as to some of the other things, but I would imagine they are probably not something that ends up coming up super often.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I appreciate the reply. After all was said and done, I ended up installing Yakuaku, which after some modification, I liked better, so I am going to have that use its own hotkey, and keep the default terminal as is, just in case of whatever.
Good call. (y)

Hopefully someone might end up having some insight as to some of the other things, but I would imagine they are probably not something that ends up coming up super often.
No, I've never seen those requests on Pop, but someone would have experienced that or wants to use that and can share here at some point.

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
I haven't tested it (or any of the similar extensions), but something like this might help with your notification issue.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8bg