• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

After KDE install, default file manager became Dolphin on Gnome

LondonUK371

Jun 14, 2020
Hello,

After installing KDE Plasma on my Pop OS 20.04, on Gnome the default file manager for Firefox, Chrome and Brave is now Dolphin. Even on a new created user, so the issue might be on /usr/share/applications/

I already changed inode/directory line of the file /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache:

inode/directory=org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop;org.gnome.baobab.desktop;org.kde.dolphin.desktop;org.kde.gwenview.desktop;

But Dolphin is still the default file manager on Gnome / Firefox / Chrome / Brave.
What can I do?

Thanks,
Vincent.

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
That happened to me too. Strangely, not the first or even second time after I used KDE, but some random time later. I believe this was what resolved it for me:

xdg-mime default nautilus.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search

LondonUK371

Jun 14, 2020
Very strange, it worked only 20 seconds, Chrome launched Files (Nautilus) and then it switched to Dolphin. There might be a KDE process modifying this setting!

LondonUK371

Jun 14, 2020
I removed KDE following these steps:
https://trendoceans.com/how-to-remove-the-kde-plasma-environment-in-ubuntu/

And strangely I still had the dolphin package which is opened through Chrome on Gnome.

So I deleted it with:
apt remove dolphin

Now it's fine, opening a folder in Chrome with Nautilus under Gnome. But it's really strange, if I reinstall Dolphin, folders are opened with it.

I would like to use KDE Plasma but I can't figure out how to make it cohabit with Gnome.

I must be able to install dolphin without getting it as default files manager under Gnome.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awsumatt