• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Happy New Year!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Announcement concerning Debian.

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I don't think it will have much impact on Debian or Pop. Though I'd have to agree that Debian's infrastructure is incredibly outdated. Debian's packaging tools are in need of a complete overhaul, and a rewrite from scratch. Many of the components are written in Perl, still to this day. If Debian were to rewrite their tools, we wouldn't have to do it ourselves.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Ok, that's a relief. From a business perspective Debian is more a less a supplier, much like Ubuntu. It sucks when you're trying to get products into market and your suppliers keep changing things or deleting them. So, what are the chances of that rewrite happening?

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Debian and Ubuntu alike are suppliers / distribution builders. In general, they have no effect on us besides what packages we have to start with in each release. If they were to radically change the apt infrastructure, I'd be on board with that. Chances are they won't, though.

One of the neat things about having our own upgrade daemon is that it will make it easier to apply whatever changes are necessary from release to release. So even if we did need to make some radical changes to enable an upgrade to a new release, that would be doable. Debian packaging in general though does a good job of taking care of most of those details.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Good to know. I think sticking with Pop!_OS as a Linux distribution and Investing in the Pop ecosystem was a good decision. The more I learn about what you've done and what you intend to do, the more confidence I have I the future of the distribution.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leonardobd