• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Solved Audio issues on Pop!_OS 20.04

horvat

Jun 8, 2020
Hello,

I've finally made a decision to switch from Windows to Linux! Everything went smoothly except for the audio which I just can't figure out after hours of googling so I would greatly appreciate if anyone would assist me.

I'm sorry that I'm repeating myself from Reddit because I discovered it first, but after that read that it might not be the best place to post a problem.
I did go through the forum search and found that another forum user describes the problem that I have in this post, but the solution of the problem there didn't help me.

I've successfully set up my speakers and headphones audio output, but I can't get the headphones mic to work.
I have 2 ports on the front with 3.5 mm - one with headphones icon and one with mic icon. On the back, I have 5 of those 3.5 mm ports and I managed to find out which holes are for what (using this guide).
I plugged speakers into the front "headphones" port and my headphones (Razer Kraken X) to the ports on the back - audio one (with green lines) into line out and microphone (with pink lines) into the one next to it - microphone input interface.
Having it setup like this allows me to switch between headphones and speakers, but microphone doesn't want to work, I've played with a lot of different settings, but any way I set it up, it just produces white noise (I used pavucontrol to setup the output and Discord mic test which plays back whatever you say).

Using alsamixer I tweaked some microphone settings (this can be seen on this image)
The right most two bars had some impact on microphone sound, but just increasing and decreasing them made the white noise louder or quieter (I used all combinations - up and down arrow keys, q, e, y, c). No sound whatsoever was picked up from my voice or surroundings.

I came across people posting results from various commands when they have issues so I did put results of those commands on pastebin, here they are:

This is the pavucontrol output section, you can see that it is catching something, but it is just white noise when played back on discord...
I've tried audacity (results) and it didn't produce any sounds as well.

Before posting I came across a post I thought would fix my problem, I changed those 2 lines in alsa config, but when I tried it afterwards, it still produced just white noise and no sound from my microphone... alsamixer now displayed the other card as default (I didn't have to select it using F6), but it made no difference for mic.
Another thing I noticed is that Rear Mic Boost actually made me hear the white noise, everything is silent if the boost is set to 0.

It is probably also important to note that the headphones include some kind of splitting dongle for splitting the 3.5 mm 3 ringed plug into green (sound) and pink (mic) ones. I read somewhere that the 3 ringed plug isn't a good design so I'm using the dongle. Please correct that statement if it is false.
Also, trying to plug the microphone into the front 3.5 mm port didn't work. It is the place where I would like my headphones to go, but when I have headphones on the front ports and speakers on the line out in the back, whenever I change audio output from headphones to speakers or vice versa, it always plays on the speakers and nothing plays on the headphones...

uiytt

Jun 4, 2020
To use two jack headset, I added this :
Code:
options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1
options snd-hda-intel model=,dell-headset-multi,3stack
at the bottom of /etc/modprob.d/alsa-base.conf

Maybe it will solve your problem ?

horvat

Jun 8, 2020
To use two jack headset, I added this :
Code:
options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1
options snd-hda-intel model=,dell-headset-multi,3stack
at the bottom of /etc/modprob.d/alsa-base.conf

Maybe it will solve your problem ?
Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately it didn't help because I was the cause of the problem. Just another dumb newbie mistake.

I have a mute button on my headphones and I must've accidentally pressed it :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for reaching out!

uiytt

Jun 4, 2020
Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately it didn't help because I was the cause of the problem. Just another dumb newbie mistake.

I have a mute button on my headphones and I must've accidentally pressed it :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for reaching out!
It happen so much xD

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonzenith