• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Solved Audio software recommendation needed.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I'm wanting a Linux audio program that does one thing well, and that is convert audio file formats.

Some of you may know I'm a long time Mac user and life long audiophile. My music library is extensive and currently being hosted on a Mac, utilizing iTunes and iPods for playback. I'm 90% Apple free but being invested in their ecosystem for so long I have some deeper roots that will take time to dig out. My plan is to build a Nextcloud media server to host my new library entirely. I will have to choose a Linux music player for local playback so I am testing some of those. I have ordered a portable player that supports open source codecs which will eventually replace the iPods, but that is a long term goal. I've started downloading new music in the FLAC codec and have a nice drag and drop Mac FLAC to iTunes converter (Apple Lossless), so that is sorted, but I want a powerful, stable and easy-to-use audio codec converter to use in Pop for converting my music library into open source codecs (probably Ogg Vorbis) to store on Nextcloud and portable devices. Is there something that is suitable?

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
If you're doing local playback on a network, you might want to look at mpd or mopidy instead of NextCloud. NC is a file server, mpd and mopidy are specifically designed to be streaming music servers (and there are desktop and mobile clients available)

Reactions: Fuhrmann

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Cool, thanks. I'll look into those. Any idea about a converter?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Just to document this question further, when I get around to making the transition I'm going to definitely try ffmpeg to do the converting. It looks like a robust Linux utility.

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Sound Converter is useful for those who'd rather use a GUI application. I've always mixed GNU Parallel with ffmpeg for audio and video.

(probably Ogg Vorbis)
Ogg Opus has higher quality at lower bitrates than Vorbis. It also supports 256 channels of sound. Actually, it's the best lossy audio codec to date, even besting all the proprietary codecs in use out there.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Thanks, I guess I'm going with Ogg Opus. :cool:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
As part of my plan to escape the Apple-trap, I purchased an APGTEK player. The main reason for the purchase being support for open codecs. I just received it and have been mucking around for a couple hours. I like it! It has a nice heft to it and being metal I think it is definitely made for longevity. The bluetooth is magnificent, better than my Ipods (Nano 7th gen) or MBP. The one I chose seems "Basic but stable" as far as software goes. It serves my purposes completely. I've copied and played FLAC files on it without any problems. It connected to my HP Pavilion with Pop!_OS easily and gave no errors or failures.
Additionally, It syncs up and works fine in Mac OS X Sierra with a MBP. Make sure it is in a format that the player uses though. It won't play m4a.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8bg