• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Bad Performance in CS:GO with nVidia Driver 455

joka

Oct 7, 2020
Hi,

I have a clean install of PopOS 20.04 with the latest nVidia Driver on my Dell XPS 9560 with an GTX 1050m graphics card.

When I switch to "NVIDIA Graphics"-Mode, the game is unplayable and runs at about 20-30 fps. Which is worse than on "Integrated Graphics"-mode (30-40 fps)
In "Hybrid Graphics"-mode i get between 70-120 fps, which is playable but it sometimes drops to about 30-40 frames per second for a couple of seconds. It feels like the the dedicated graphics card is deactivated and then activated again.

I haven't had these issues with an earlier driver, but this thread about rolling back did not help much: https://pop-planet.info/forums/threads/roll-back-nvidia-driver.806/ after purging the nVidia driver and installing version 450 it automatically installed 455 as well.
Since then I got a new SSD and had a clean install of PopOS (I hoped that I had broken something), but apparently it is a "valid" issue.

Additionally, I ran CS:GO on Windows, to see how the performance compares. I thought it should be in a similar range (maybe a bit better) since it runs natively on linux, but I was far off: It runs far better with at least 60% better performance (120-180fps on higher settings), less frame drops.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could try to fix this, or how I can roll back drivers easily?

Thanks in advance!

joka

Oct 7, 2020
After some googling, it seems, that nvidia-driver-440 only works with kernel version up to 5.6. Pop currently uses 5.8, which means that it cannot be installed. Even with the installer from the nVidia website.

I installed synaptic in order to install an older kernel, but could only find kernel modules, not the generic. Are older kernels not supported in pop, or how can I install an older kernel?

In Manjaro you could switch to a different kernel on the fly, I suppose there is no such tool in Pop-OS, is it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hanspoo