• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question boot/efi Partition

balumalli

May 2, 2019
Galle Padukka Homagama
i'm using Linux dual boot with windows so when selecting partitions to install Pop_OS if i use g parted i have to completely format my hard drive but i saw selecting from graphical hard drive bar i can select partition then i rebooted to windows then i created root,home,swap and boot/efi partition because pop os says existing boot/efi partition not enough so after creating those partitions i have successfully installed Pop_Os then i configured from bios dual boot settings but its not working

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Denver, CO
evertiro.com
Sounds to me like it's defaulting to the Windows EFI bootloader and ignoring ours completely. Did you try accessing your motherboard boot menu?

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
Make sure that when you format your boot disk using your boot disk utility (Like Rufus) that you have it set to GPT, and EUFI only I accidentally had something other than GPT. Sometimes your disk writer will have default settings that do not allow EFI booting. If your problem was anything like mine, that is worth double checking.

Reactions: balumalli

balumalli

May 2, 2019
Galle Padukka Homagama
Make sure that when you format your boot disk using your boot disk utility (Like Rufus) that you have it set to GPT, and EUFI only I accidentally had something other than GPT. Sometimes your disk writer will have default settings that do not allow EFI booting. If your problem was anything like mine, that is worth double checking.
no my problem is size of boot partition i should increase it with paragon hard disk manager

airanp

May 7, 2019
Ya, in the same boat. Cannot expand the efi partition without some third party application in windows and the windows default of 100 Mb is not large enough for Pop!_os.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
i followed this step to configure dual-boot here
That link doesn't seem to work so we can't see what you did. This is the official System76 page about dual booting Windows.

Some things that often happen that aren't really documented are;
Create the boot media with Etcher. Often we see Pop!_OS live USB's created with Rufus failing.
Verify the ISO: cd into the directory that the downloaded ISO is in then run sha256sum <package>. The output should match the hash on the Pop!_OS download page.
Make sure Secure Boot is turned off in BIOS.
Create a larger EFI partition for Pop, then copy the Windows bootloader into it. See here.

Last edited:

airanp

May 7, 2019
I ended up just reformatting the entire machine with a fresh install of windows 10 and pop!_os. During the installation of windows 10 I followed a guide to increase the size of the EFI partition and made it 612 MB and had no issues.

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
I ended up just reformatting the entire machine with a fresh install of windows 10 and pop!_os. During the installation of windows 10 I followed a guide to increase the size of the EFI partition and made it 612 MB and had no issues.
Good boot size. Does the op have this much for their boot? 100mb like windows doesn't cut it... Need at least 200, but 612 is safe.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pranav