• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Boot from install USB - mouse and keyboard not working, no install option available

deelzee

Feb 13, 2021
Mullumbimby, NSW, Australia
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to update my system from pop_os 18 to 20. I had some issues with upgrading from the OS itself, so I decided to do a clean install from an install disk. However, when I boot from the USB and the live pop loads up, a couple of things happen. First I can't see the install option on the desktop as I was expecting - I just see a blank desktop with the pop logo. Secondly, I'm able to move the mouse around but clicking doesn't work. Neither does the keyboard. So I can't even have an explore around and find the install to run. Sometimes when I click a few times with the mouse the whole screen goes grey and I'm just left with a mouse pointer. I've also had the experience of ending up at the log in screen - there I can see the guest user option and I'm able to click with the mouse to select it, but then I just end up back at the unusable desktop.

I've made the bootable USB from both 20.04 and 20.10 isos using Etcher (in Windows).
I'm not dual booting.
Secure boot and fast boot options are both disabled in BIOS.
I'm booting from the UEFI option and not the USB option.

I've noticed that when the system boots and I see all the status messages before I get to the desktop the only one that seems to have "failed" is grub. I have a suspicion this could have something to do with it, but I was under the impression that grub isn't the bootloader here, so not sure why that would be an issue.

I'd love some help! I've been trawling forums for days and haven't found examples of anyone with these issues so I'm a bit baffled.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
the only one that seems to have "failed" is grub.
That is normal, and quite alright if you have UEFI enabled.

On the rare occasion, Pop doesn't like being installed on a machine that previously had Pop on it. Sounds weird, right? It is. Someone had that issue in the live chat a couple days ago, and I have one machine (out of seven) that does it also. In that instance, I use a live USB of Gparted, boot into it and delete every partition until completely blank. Then format the drive in ext4. Exit Gparted live (shutdown) and then boot the live USB of Pop.

Making a live USB of Gparted is the same as Pop. Download Gparted to Downloads. Use Etcher to burn it. Direct link to amd64 iso.

There are checksums if you want to verify the download.

I always keep a copy of Gparted live for emergencies.

deelzee

Feb 13, 2021
Mullumbimby, NSW, Australia
That is normal, and quite alright if you have UEFI enabled.

On the rare occasion, Pop doesn't like being installed on a machine that previously had Pop on it. Sounds weird, right? It is. Someone had that issue in the live chat a couple days ago, and I have one machine (out of seven) that does it also. In that instance, I use a live USB of Gparted, boot into it and delete every partition until completely blank. Then format the drive in ext4. Exit Gparted live (shutdown) and then boot the live USB of Pop.

Making a live USB of Gparted is the same as Pop. Download Gparted to Downloads. Use Etcher to burn it. Direct link to amd64 iso.

There are checksums if you want to verify the download.

I always keep a copy of Gparted live for emergencies.
Thanks derpOmattic.
I tried that and had no luck - still the same weird behaviour. I also tried installing Ubuntu 20.04 to see if it was the OS; different USB media; different USB slots.... all to no avail.

In the end I've managed to get everything going by installing pop 19.10. The install for that happened seamlessly, without a hitch. It looks like there might be something incompatible with linux 20 and my system. Might take me a while to work out what that is.....

Thanks for your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpian555