• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Bridging USB tethering to Ethernet (was: Sharing wifi over ethernet and wired connection problem)

FlipChip

Mar 7, 2019
Got this brand new NAS thigie, Helios4 and I've been trying to get that thing going properly ..

I have two problems .. my wired connection just won't stay up. Have no idea why.

Also I need to somehow share my wifi (which is internet connection) from my laptop so that Helios can access internets to download what ever it might need.

And yes I have switch I have connected these things.

They rock 10.10.10.x | 255.255.255.0 | 10.10.10.255 network if that makes any difference. Wifi is on dchp via hotspot.

All the help is appreciated!

Thanks!

pgmer6809

Dec 10, 2019
1) 10.x.x.x Lan address? Wow you must have a big network. :)
2) From your post it is not clear. Do you have a separate router or is your laptop acting as your router?
3) How is your helios communicating with your laptop if the ether connection wont stay up?
4) If your helios does have a valid wifi connecting with your laptop, and you do have a separate router, then i can't think why your helios cannot see the internet through your router and would need to go thru your laptop.
5) You could post the output of
Code:
ifconfig -a
run on both the laptop and the NAS here to see if anyone can spot the problem.
6) In theory if your helios wants to get to the internet thru some other box, it specifies a 'gateway IP address' to use. Normally the DHCP server sets that up for its clients, but it is easy to just edit the /etc/network/interfaces file, or issue the correct ipconfig cmd to do it. But that is only half the story. The box acting as the gateway has to be told to forward the requests it sees. In effect it has to act as a router. If you want your laptop to perform that function that is what you will need to do. I am not sure how. Personal Hotspot on a Linux laptop? Sounds like an interesting problem.
7) If your helios does not have wifi, and its ethernet connection is not working, then all I can suggest at this point is that you might buy a USB wifi adapter for your NAS thingie. You can get a dual band one with decent coverage and range for around $20.00. The software drivers might be a problem though, you would have to experiment.

MikeStutzzzz

Mar 10, 2019
weird they made something that doesn't respond to DHCP. you may need to reboot your laptop when connecting to the wired without internet had some weird issues myself. But what you want to do is assign the wired NIC on your machine on the same network. so 10.10.10.y 255.255.255.0 do not assign a gateway. you can also click the option use this connection only for resources on this network. this should allow you to gain access to the device to re-ip etc.

FlipChip

Mar 7, 2019
So I have another question about bridging connections ..

Is there any simple GUI kliketi-klik thingie to setup bridge between USB tethered device and Ethernet?

Would be nice.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travisd826