• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Can we please talk about the lack of any sort of sorting, ratings, statistics, etc in the Pop Shop?

MostHated

Apr 18, 2019
The shop currently feels so... not overwhelming, but also not friendly? I guess? Imagine going to Amazon to find something and you could only pick "Computer stuff", "Clothes", "Car stuff", etc, and that was it no sub categories or arranging by top rated, etc.

You can select a main category and that's all. Sure, you can filter down by name, but when I am looking for neat and useful new things, I don't know any names of what I am looking for. I think it definitely needs some additional features and sorting, such as recently released/updated, popular within each category, etc. A date of when things were actually last updated, etc.

A huge list of a bunch of things I might not know anything about doesn't really help. Reviews, ratings, etc, that would be an extremely welcome addition, even if it were only from other Pop!_OS users within the shop if the list is generated from a 3rd party. I would imagine data could be stored and used within the Pop Shop only?

If say, under System, there could be "Logging", "Hardware/Statistics", "Installation/Updating", "Connectivity", etc, that would be great. It could even be simply a user contributed tagging system. Allow the people who know about the particular applications to tag them as to what they are or do so devs don't have to.

Thanks,
-MH

Last edited:

Kenryov

Apr 14, 2019
Yeah... its the norm for pretty much every single appstore on every distro regardless of base. Solus, Elementary, Ubuntu, Pop, Manjaro etc. The UI and UX is pretty minimal for every app. The downside of fragmentation and limited funding i guess. Since the software side of things regardless of the attempts at package unification by .AppImages, flatpaks, snaps on top of each distro's version of package management and package type .deb, .rpm .tar.gz etc. Everybody on linux wants to do thing their own way which makes developing software across each platform a shore to say the least. Not trying to bash FOSS but like Linus Torvald said fragmentation is the reason linux is a secondary platform for the majority of people.

PeterPoppins

May 15, 2019
Yeh I think these could be some good improvements. The main thing I'm missing is that it doesn't tell you the actual package names for the programs. When I want to say, remove and purge a program via the terminal, I'm left guessing what the package name is for ones I don't already know (most of them). Maybe that's just my fault for not knowing how to find the package names of installed packages another easy way. It's probably not hard to do. I'm just used to looking them up in the store. Aside from that stuff, I like the store a lot. It's nice visually!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I think having the package name visible in the Pop!_Shop isn't necessary and will look messy. I've been working on the DEP-11 YAML's that make programs appear in the Pop!_Shop and I don't think I can do that right now, even if I wanted to. That is something the devs at Elementary OS would have to work into the App Center functionality. I guess It could be added to the description field, but to be consistent it would have to be changed in every DEP-11 file. I still think it would be superfluous.
If you're uninstalling with apt, you may as well apt search <package> to get the correct package name while you're already in Terminal.
Now sorting, ratings and statistics is something we can look into in future. That will definitely be helpful and not take up too much real estate.

PeterPoppins

May 15, 2019
Yeh it's not a very important feature. Not even a request really, just my thoughts on it. Thanks for reminding me about searching with the terminal though. I do use that command sometimes and it pretty much does what I need. But sometimes there'll be multiple entries with similar names marked as installed and I'm not always sure which one it is that I actually want without seeing the icon next to it like in the software store. Sometimes the terminal can also bring up a big list of items and it's a little more tricky to scroll through and spot the part where is says '[Installed]' than it in the software store. So it's mostly just a small thing of convenience really.

I'm looking forward to the more programs appearing in the store and the other potential changes though. Thanks for your work!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I know what you're saying about the big lists that sometimes show up in an apt search. It happens when you're not exactly sure of the package name and maybe leave something out. In that instance you can hit arrow up to get the last command again and add | grep installed. It would look like, apt search <package> | grep installed . Alternately you could run apt list --installed | grep <packagename> .

PeterPoppins

May 15, 2019
Ah cool. I'll add that to my list of useful terminal commands. Thanks!

rubenjs

Jun 2, 2019
Amsterdam
Apart from the CLI, you can also install the good ol' Synaptic Package Manager to get a lot of details about packages and dependencies. It also has some technical sorting and filtering options, but no user data whatsoever.

I fully agree with you that the Pop Shop should have more features like sorting, filtering and user ratings. It would really make it stand out from all the other minimalistic app stores.

It is weird that if you are looking for, let's say, the best e-mail client for you, there is no way to figure that out reliably without using the www.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jentgreg