• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Cannot wake from suspend

husky_dusky

Mar 2, 2020
Distribution (run cat /etc/os-release):
NAME="Pop!_OS"
VERSION="19.10"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Pop!_OS 19.10"
VERSION_ID="19.10"
HOME_URL="https://system76.com/pop"
SUPPORT_URL="http://support.system76.com"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://github.com/pop-os/pop/issues"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://system76.com/privacy"
VERSION_CODENAME=eoan
UBUNTU_CODENAME=eoan
LOGO=distributor-logo-pop-os

Issue/Bug Description:
When trying to wake the system from suspend, it hangs on a black screen.

Steps to reproduce (if you know):
  1. Put the computer into suspend.
  2. Wait until the computer suspends entirely.
  3. Tap the power button to wake from suspend.

Expected behavior:
I expect the computer to wake from suspend normally, however it seems to hang with a black screen until I force a shutdown by holding the power/restart button.

Other Notes:
GPU: AMD 5700 XT
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
2 monitors

Can anyone help? :)

husky_dusky

Mar 2, 2020
Great! Can you post some logs for us? Start with the output from dmesg right after a failed resume
Sure, I'll come back later.
When I am trying to wake up PC right after suspend everything is working, but I can't wake up PC in few hours. So i have to wait a bit.

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Denver, CO
evertiro.com
Ok, first off, please remember that help provided here is voluntary. Nobody gets paid to provide help, and most people have real jobs and families that take precedence. Personally, I'm trying to keep this site running (along with the wiki, pastebin, and community repo) solo with zero return because I love our community. Sometimes it'll take a few days to get an answer... especially when the question is one that requires research.

Second... are you using the official kernel or have you switched kernels?

husky_dusky

Mar 2, 2020
Ok, first off, please remember that help provided here is voluntary. Nobody gets paid to provide help, and most people have real jobs and families that take precedence. Personally, I'm trying to keep this site running (along with the wiki, pastebin, and community repo) solo with zero return because I love our community. Sometimes it'll take a few days to get an answer... especially when the question is one that requires research.
I understand that someone (not only you) doesn't have time and someone doesn't know how to solve this problem. I waited few days before asking again. I am not impatient, just wanted to revive thread. I'm sorry if I've offended you.

Second... are you using the official kernel or have you switched kernels?
I've tried all kernels from 5.3 to 5.6 rc5 (from https://kernel.ubuntu.com/). Same problem with every kernel.

Last edited:

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Denver, CO
evertiro.com
I'm sorry if I've offended you.
You didn't, I'm a hard person to really offend. That was intended as a general reminder not just to you, but to everyone. People seem to think that my staff and I are here to answer their questions 24/7 all too frequently. This is far from the truth and I, for one, don't like seeing my volunteer staff having to deal with people who seem "entitled" and want an answer now. Your post just came at the wrong moment and ended up being the one I used to set an example.

I've tried all kernels from 5.3 to 5.6 rc5 (from https://kernel.ubuntu.com/). Same problem with every kernel.
What kernel are you CURRENTLY running?

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Denver, CO
evertiro.com
I can't swear it'll fix your problem (or that the obvious error message is the cause of the problem), but the error message in the above screenshot is an indication that the AMDGPU module is crashing at some point. You can try to deal with it by adding the following kernel parameter:

Code:
amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1

husky_dusky

Mar 2, 2020
I can't swear it'll fix your problem (or that the obvious error message is the cause of the problem), but the error message in the above screenshot is an indication that the AMDGPU module is crashing at some point. You can try to deal with it by adding the following kernel parameter:

Code:
amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1
Ok, I started fresh with clean installation (because I broke something trying to fix it, as always).
And entered your parameter. Tried to wake up PC few times and ... so far so good. Finger crossed. Thank you for your help. I will post feedback in few days

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarryPEthan