• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question Solved Can't complete installation. "possibly due to a hardware error"

Yahfz

Jul 26, 2019
So i've been trying to install Pop_OS and i've been getting the same error over and over again.
I've used Etcher.io to make a bootable drive and i'm on UEFI and GPT.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
Reading the log, it does seem to be a problem with the setup installing the bootloader.

"
[INFO distinst:src/installer/steps/bootloader.rs:33] /dev/sdd: installing bootloader for Bios

[INFO distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:99] running "chroot" "/tmp/distinst.oQHaOJ5KVHzQ" "grub-install" "--recheck" "--target=i386-pc" "/dev/sdd"

[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:89] Installing for i386-pc platform.

[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] configuring bootloader error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 1

[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:281] errored while installing system: command failed with exit status: exit code: 1

[INFO distinst:ffi/src/installer.rs:192] Install error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 1
"

It does look like it is trying to install the bootloader to the disk that was selected for the rest of the OS, /dev/sdd. Not sure why it would be failing, though.
I also thought that the system doesn't install GRUB and uses a different bootloader for UEFI systems.
Maybe the ISO is not booting via UEFI mode and is having issues because of that.

Yahfz

Jul 26, 2019
I removed all my other drives and it installed just fine. Maybe its because i had another drive with windows or something.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Maybe its because i had another drive with windows or something.
That is entirely possibly if fast boot is enabled, or a multitude of other Windows specific proprietary components. Fast boot prevents Windows from completely shutting down so it never relinquishes the BIOS.

Yahfz

Jul 26, 2019
That is entirely possibly if fast boot is enabled, or a multitude of other Windows specific proprietary components. Fast boot prevents Windows from completely shutting down so it never relinquishes the BIOS.
I had fast boot disabled, thats what's weird.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Yes it is, and yet another anomaly to think about when installs don't complete. The large majority of failures can be attributed to a handful of common mistakes or problems - then there are the anomalous few.

Mad Ninja

Jul 28, 2019
I had the same issue although I am using UEFI it was still failing about the 75% mark. Try this:

start up in demo mode. Using GParted, create a 1+ Gb partition in front of your root partition.
During the installation select Custom (Advanced) install.
Click on the 1+ Gb partition and check "Use partition," "Format," and Use as "Boot (/boot/efi)
Then select your main partition and do the same steps except select Use as "Root (/)"
Click Erase and install, then go through the rest of the install normally.
For some reason it just wasn't creating a large enough boot partition and apparently Systemd-boot needs more space than GRUB.
unfortunately I don't think there's a way around using EFI.

Hopefully that'll work for you. Good luck.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8bg