• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Can't re-install Pop! OS

Gord10

Aug 1, 2020
Hello,

I installed Pop! OS as the second OS to my computer a few weeks ago. It used to work perfectly. But for some reason, it doesn't boot anymore. So I'm trying to re-install the OS from DVD.

When "Try or install ..." screen comes, I press arrow keys, booting message disappears. Then I press enter. Texts flow on black background.

"ata1: SATA link down"
"ata1: hard resetting link"
"AHCI controller unavailable"
"nvme nvme0 controller is down will reset"

are some of the interesting warnings I get.

Some things to note:
* Secure boot is disabled
* AHCI is enabled
* I had to move the computer case to a different room, then brought back to my study room today. Maybe a loose contact or something?
* I had changed the names and sizes of partitions at my SSD. I guess the name of partitions where Pop! OS stays also changed.

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Denver, CO
evertiro.com
The additional failure when you try start the installer would seem to indicate that whether or not you messed something up when you resized partitions, that's not relevant to the issue at hand. In theory, the installer shouldn't complain about much of anything that's on a hard drive, as long as it has some level of access to the hard drive. Worst case would be if it was a format the live image didn't understand, but that'd still give you the option to simply wipe the hard drive and restart.

Since you're experiencing a specific error in the installer, that would seem to indicate a hardware issue of some sort. I'd say the obvious first step is to go into BIOS and see if it detects your hard drive, particularly since you said you just moved the computer twice. While I've never had it happen personally, cables and cards wiggling loose certainly does happen. Since you can get far enough to reach the "Try or install..." screen, we can obviously rule out issues with the motherboard and video card... that just leaves a few options, so start with the things you can quickly test.

Gord10

Aug 1, 2020
Thank you for the reply!

Both of the storages (SSD and HDD) are detected in the BIOS. I can use them in Windows without any problems.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alur222