• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question chomium extensions, unable to remove [Resolved for now]

atg

Jul 17, 2020
hi installed pop os this morning and after updating, i installed chromium, when i went to extensions, there were 2 new extensions, one a google pdf viewer, and a cryptotokenextension, both cannot be removed, and were not there prior to installing pop os

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
How about that, I didn't see them before now. They must be really new. You're right, they're not removing and they can't be turned off. I'm looking into it.

Reactions: atg

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
From what I've read, and I might be mistaken, it's actually a good thing to have these extensions in Chromium to prevent some default behaviors of Chrome.

atg

Jul 17, 2020
Thank you for your reply, that's a bit of a relief. I thought it was strange. My wife is a windows user and she does not have these extensions.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I've found that Chrome downloads PDFs by default if the toggle is on, whereas Chromium doesn't even have that behavior because of this extension. There is a setting in Chrome in 'advanced' to toggle that setting, but it still doesn't work for some PDFs. Apparently, it was also common for other PDF related extensions to toggle this setting in Chrome. This extension in Chromium that cannot be uninstalled used to be an extension you could install, but once again, adding other PDF related extensions could change or override the behavior, so probably why it's hard now in Chromium. So it's probably a good thing to have that extension in Chromium to completely stop the ability to download PDFs by default.

Rarely, you may find certain PDFs downloading automatically even if Chrome is configured otherwise. The reason lies when such PDFs are actually instructed from the server-side to download to your hard drive rather than open in-browser.
In developer lingo, this happens if the URL hosting the PDF has its Content-Disposition header set to ‘Attachment,’ indicating that it's hellbent on downloading no matter what.
So, as I see it, this extension forces Chromium to only ever open PDFs in the browser window.

Last edited:

atg

Jul 17, 2020
I've found that Chrome downloads PDFs by default if the toggle is on, whereas Chromium doesn't even have that behavior because of this extension. There is a setting in Chrome in 'advanced' to toggle that setting, but it still doesn't work for some PDFs. Apparently, it was also common for other PDF related extensions to toggle this setting in Chrome. This extension in Chromium that cannot be uninstalled used to be an extension you could install, but once again, adding other PDF related extensions could change or override the behavior, so probably why it's hard now in Chromium. So it's probably a good thing to have that extension in Chromium to completely stop the ability to download PDFs by default.

So, as I see it, this extension forces Chromium to only ever open PDFs in the browser window.

I try to have as little extensions as I can, 2 that I set up myself, if Chromium add too, this will slow down browser and hamper browser performance won't it? I tried Firefox from pop os repositries and for me it is so slow, and I am bombarded with ads after new install, also the game I play online, is virtually unplayable (Forge of Empires) so slow, I like the privacy Firefox should provide but for me its a terrible browser.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
this will slow down browser and hamper browser performance won't it?
Not necessarily, many times adding extensions, or add-ons, will increase performance due to reducing the amount of garbage the browser would normally deal with without them.

I am bombarded with ads after new install
That isn't good. I couldn't abide that. Every new browser configuration I do gets the following add-ons.
HTTPS Everywhere
NoScript
UBlock Origin

Depending on the use case I will install other add-ons, but never exactly the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinity