• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

[CLOSED]19.10 Installation Problem

Siddhant

Nov 17, 2019
I tried dual installing Pop Os 19.10 with my Windows 10 (pre-loaded) but the installation failed. Please help.

I have attached the installer log.

Attachments

Siddhant

Nov 17, 2019
I had done everything accordingly to the instruction in this list but it just failed. I tried about 2 - 3 times. I am using a Dell Inspiron 7559 and balenaEtcher to make the live USB.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Can you give me a snapshot of your partition scheme? You've got `sda` through to `sda7`. I think we need to see if it is set up correctly. You can use GParted in the Pop USB installer or you can use a live USB of Gparted to get that info or screenshot.

Siddhant

Nov 17, 2019
Can you give me a snapshot of your partition scheme? You've got `sda` through to `sda7`. I think we need to see if it is set up correctly. You can use GParted in the Pop USB installer or you can use a live USB of Gparted to get that info or screenshot.
For some reason GParted was not working correctly, so here it is in Windows Disk Managment System. I have Devtools (S) for Boot, New Volume(D) for Swap(8 GB RAM) and New Volume(E) for Root.
Capture.PNG

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Which one are you using for Pop? Pop's main partition should be ext4, not NTFS. If it's any of the top 3 entries, it's too small. Did you follow the System76 dual boot documentation?

Last edited:

Siddhant

Nov 17, 2019
Which one are you using for Pop? Pop's main partition should be ext4, not NTFS. Did you follow the System76 dual boot documentation?
The root partition does use ext4. It's just that when I was setting this up in Diskpart, I forgot to format it as ext4 but before the main installation, the root partition was set up as ext4.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
That looks like a mess, and it indicates NTFS partitions. It may be worth while studying the System76 documentation on dual booting, and using Gparted (in the Pop Live USB when selecting Custom installation) to format and re-install Pop. Please back up any important information before you proceed.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
You should have one FAT32 partition around 512MB to 600MB for boot mounted at /boot/efi. One ext4 partition around 4.3GB (recommended) for Linux-swap. Your main root partition should be ext4 and mounted at /.

Siddhant

Nov 17, 2019
I tried it but didn't work. Got to somewhere around 85% and then showed the failed installation screen.
The last few lines of the CLI in the installer were:
Screenshot from 2019-11-20 10-13-16.png

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
From here you could do one of two things. Make a live USB of Gparted and delete anything that is superfluous. Trying to clean your partition scheme with an external tool, like Gparted live, is going to be tricky but possible.
Your second option is to back up everything that you want to keep, wipe the drive and start again. If you have an existing installation of Windows you should follow the System76 dual boot guide, but if you clean install everything here is the best way to do it. Using the Gparted live USB, wipe the drive clean. Create a FAT32 partition of around 1GB. Next create an NTFS partition roughly half of what is left. The finally, create an ext4 partition in the last half. Re-install Windows first in the NTFS partition. It will use the FAT32 for it's EFI. Then Install Pop in the ext4 partition and use the same FAT32 partition for Pop's EFI. This is a nice clean solution if you don't have an existing Windows install.
Please do back ups before you do anything else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poiseman