• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Cloud services for Linux

Derivates

Sep 24, 2019
Greetings everyone, I'll just go straight to the point. I'm a Windows users (already have a lot of experience with Linux, specially arch and POP_OS) but I've always struggled because I use Microsoft's OneDrive service in a daily basis.

I personally have a plan which gives me 1TB storage, and the ability of just dragging stuff into Windows' Explorer and have it on my phone is just amazing.
College provided me a few months ago (I'm a freshman) an account with everything you could ever get with Office (Storage, apps, etc)... I mean, I guess I could get around by working with the Office apps via Web (it's not that bad being honest, still lacks some features) but the main issue is still the the folder syncing and what I mentioned a few sentences before.

I've read a lot about Dropbox which could be a decent alternative, but also read stuff Nextcloud, the only thing I hear is good stuff but also that you need to host the server/service (or whatever)..but...that does that mean I have to pay..? Isit better than Dropbox?

I'm super attached to Linux already, the setup and switch is there and almost done, just need my files on the go, honestly OneDrive is inexplicably a must for me.

I'd appreciate any feedback, also pardon me if this is not the correct section.

The_Counselor

Apr 23, 2019
I've been thinking about trying Nextcloud myself for a while, just haven't gotten around to it. It is my understanding that Nextcloud can be downloaded as a snap with everything you need packaged in, and just run as an app from any PC.

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Keybase is worth a look, which has great integration on Linux via its KBFS FUSE driver. In addition to encrypted cloud storage and Linux integration, it provides personal and team chat, and your public KBFS share can be used for static web hosting.

dermeck

Oct 8, 2019
I had the same problem when I switched to Linux.

OneDrive is not officially supported on Linux and Microsoft does not seem to support it in the near future (I contacted them and just got forwarded to a page where i could upvote an issue/request).

There are some inofficial (cli-)clients on github (onedrive, ondrived). The projects don't seem very active - I did not test them because I wanted official support. You might have a look at those if you absolutely want to stay with OneDrive.

I ended up with Nextcloud. You don't need to host it yourself but you can if you want to. There are several providers that offer a ready to go Nextcloud https://nextcloud.com/providers/. But they all come with a fee. I ended up paying 2 EUR for 100GB which is the same as for 100GB on OneDrive. It is similar to OneDrive on Windows, so far (2 month) I did not have any issues with Nextcloud. It integrates well into Pop_OS and also has a mobile App.

Dropbox may also be a good option. It has in general better integration with 3rd party Apps. The Pro that made me choose Nextcloud over Dropbox is mainly that you are not tied to a single provider which leads to more flexible pricing options and the ability to influence in which country your data is stored.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I have been using a hosted Nextcloud for a while and can say it works great. It integrates well with either GNOME accounts or the Nextcloud client. I am, however, planning on setting up my own Nextcloud server.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reclusivescavenger