• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Complete system freeze videoconference

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
I've been using Pop_os for almost a month now and I have been having this very weird problem. I have had the same problem a few times, using different browsers (firefox and brave) and different online video conference tools (zoom and jit.si). And it doesn't happen always, only after I have been working for a while and maybe have too many tabs open (about 10). Sometimes, when this is the case and sometimes when I highlight some text or just randomly, my system just completely freezes. REISUB doesn't even work, I have to shut off my machine completely. It is very annoying since I'm a teacher and have to use zoom for all my classes and do this, quite frequently sometimes (copying something from a web browser during class)

Here is my system info:

Screenshot from 2020-07-22 13-34-53.png

Since I'm a complete noob I'm not sure what logs to look for, or what other information to include. Any help on how to start to troubleshoot this problem?
Thanks!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
The first thing to try whenever Pop gets a little glitchy is restart the shell using alt + F2, then r and enter.

Finding logs:
Getting logs is usually done with journalctl. If you're experiencing some problems, but haven't shutdown, you can use journalctl -f to follow the log. It's best to have it running already if you've been having problems. Makes it easy to see what's going on. If journalctl isn't showing what you need, try dmesg -w. It will show messages since boot and then continue showing new ones. If you want to see all the logs in the current session since boot, you can use journalctl -b 0. The difference between the two is dmesg lists all of the messages particularly relating to daemons.

If it needs a hard shutdown, or crashes, get the log with journalctl -b -1 | tail 50. Fifty lines should be enough, but you may have to increase that depending on how chatty it is. Hopefully, there is an obvious error message you can search for. If you want others to possibly help by seeing the log, use the pastebin and post the link back here.

If you need to see dmesg logs from the last session, the logs are in /var/log with timestamps. Try kern.log or syslog.

AMD:
When AMD cards have compatibility issues with Linux, which happens more often than we'd like, it is usually fixed by either downgrading or upgrading the kernel. By default, System76 attempt to choose a kernel that is stable and useful to most machines. You can imagine how challenging that gets when you think of all the different manufacturers, makes, models and their idiosyncrasies. I think you should check your logs first, but I can say older AMD cards work with the old 18.04 LTS. Maybe you could try it in a live environment. Sure you'll lose whatever changes you make and anything done in it (so back up before you log out), but at least you can see if it works. To upgrade the kernel use this tool.

I hope it is an obvious and easy fix. At least you have some tools to help understand your machine's issue.

Also, a note on electron apps, or programs that are built using the electron framework are memory hungry. They consume massive amounts of memory and I try to avoid them for that reason. Some of Pop's devs have advised that we should avoid them if we can. I understand your situation though. It's a compromise that allows integration between platforms, but makes for pretty poor performance. From Zoom's site;

Please note that the Zoom SDK supports meeting services only and does not currently support messaging. Development Considerations While Electron significantly reduces cross-platform development time, our biggest concern is the memory footprint of Electron apps.
Firefox behaves the same way. I would try Chromium, which is the open source version of Chrome. System76 add optimizations to the Chromium package in their repo to enhance performance. You can install it with sudo apt install chromium. I'm not recommending Chrome though. You can get most of the same add-ons you use with Firefox for Chromium in the Web store.

Let us know how you go.

Last edited:

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
Thanks for your reply! I will do these steps if I get this issue again. I will not change to chromium yet, just to be able to replicate the issue.

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
Ok, I did something after the last crash and with that, I haven't had the issue again. Since I'm right now always working plugged in, I modified my energy to high performance in the battery menu. Could that have something to do?

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
And... I talked too early. It just happened again. I couldn't do alt+f2, it didn't respond. REISUB didn't work either. I had to do a hard shut off. I did journalctl -b -1 | tail -100 and don't see any error. Should I just copy and paste it here or what is the best way to show it in the forum?

Last edited:

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
Errors found in dmseg:

[ 0.073672] AMD-Vi: [Firmware Bug]: : IOAPIC[5] not in IVRS table
[ 0.073672] AMD-Vi: Disabling interrupt remapping

[ 0.254406] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.MACO], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20190816/dswload2-326)
[ 0.254411] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20190816/psobject-220)

[ 0.855665] pci 0000:00:00.2: AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter.

[ 0.954098] tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: can't request region for resource [mem 0x6f7a5000-0x6f7a8fff]

[ 1.446143] integrity: Problem loading X.509 certificate -65

[ 2.180947] kfd kfd: Failed to resume IOMMU for device 1002:15dd

[ 2.181124] kfd kfd: device 1002:15dd NOT added due to errors

[ 29.065722] pcieport 0000:00:01.7: AER: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, (Receiver ID)
[ 29.065726] pcieport 0000:00:01.7: AER: device [1022:15d3] error status/mask=00000040/00006000
[ 29.065728] pcieport 0000:00:01.7: AER: [ 6] BadTLP

[ 40.070771] pcieport 0000:00:01.7: AER: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, (Receiver ID)
[ 40.070776] pcieport 0000:00:01.7: AER: device [1022:15d3] error status/mask=00000040/00006000
[ 40.070780] pcieport 0000:00:01.7: AER: [ 6] BadTLP

That seems like a lot of errors... Maybe I screwed up my installation somehow?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Maybe I screwed up my installation somehow?
Maybe you did. Lol. :) However, searching around that first error gives off a lot of results. It's been around a long time, and most of the results are old. Many of the solved issues require updating the BIOS firmware, or upgrading the kernel among a few other things. I'm trying to determine which way you should go now. Can you supply the output of;

lspci -nn | egrep "SMBus | IOMMU" and also just lspci.

Did you try running a live USB of 18.04? linked above.

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
Hey, results that you asked:
lspci -nn | egrep "SMBus | IOMMU"

00:00.2 IOMMU [0806]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 IOMMU [1022:15d1]
00:14.0 SMBus [0c05]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller [1022:790b] (rev 61)

and

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Root Complex
00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 IOMMU
00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-1fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:01.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 PCIe GPP Bridge [6:0]
00:01.6 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 PCIe GPP Bridge [6:0]
00:01.7 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 PCIe GPP Bridge [6:0]
00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-1fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus A
00:08.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus B
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 61)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 5
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 6
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 7
01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445 / 530/535 / 620/625 Mobile] (rev d1)
02:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8411B PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
02:00.1 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev c4)
04:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio Controller
04:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) Platform Security Processor
04:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven USB 3.1
04:00.4 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven USB 3.1
04:00.6 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller
05:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 61)

I'm creating the live usb as I type this and will be working on it all day, I have a ton of zoom meetings today so if I should be able to replicate the problem in the live environment and will be working everything on the cloud for today, so it should not be a problem. But should I install the gnome extensions I have? I use dash-to-dock and hot corners.

Thanks again!

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
I tried to use the live usb and it got stuck...
I saw this message:

watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#4 stuck for 23s! [swapper/4:0]

I'll try creating the live usb again...

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
Created a live usb with another stick and same error. then I created a live usb on the first stick of the latest version and I'm working on it right now... I'll see if I can replicate the problem with a live usb version of 20.04.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I think I have a course of action for you based on my research, and input from people much more experienced than myself. AMD have some historically terrible Linux compatibility and there's a LOT of information on the errors you posted. Looking at your problem with related errors, the chipset you have, and what has responded so far, I would suggest the following:

The first task before playing with kernels, BIOS or boot partitions is always to make a back up. You can use whatever software you're comfortable with, but ALWAYS make a back up.

The first thing to try would be to update the BIOS firmware if there is one available for your machine. Look up the BIOS version in your BIOS, check it against AMD's support / firmware information, and use a USB to get the file if there is one. This was the priority according to developers.

Next I would try changing kernel parameters. I'm leaning towards a chipset issue, which I've seen being fixed by altering the GRUB menu. However, Pop doesn't use GRUB, but the same parameters can be changed using kernelstub. We'll cross that bridge if and when you get there.

Finally, I'd try upgrading the kernel as a last measure for these errors.

In that order: Firmware > Kernel options > Upgrade kernel.

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
Thanks! I'm doing a backup right now, will do the Firmware update today and use it tomorrow and on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for your help!!

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
Ok I did the firmware update, and it seemed to be working ok. I forgot to mention that I'm dual booting with windows, maybe that's important.

After the firmware update it worked fine, I was able to work yesterday without any trouble, although I didn't have any calls. Today I turned on my laptop, got to the log in screen, entered my password and then only got a black screen. I waited for 10 minutes and nothing. I tried alt+f2 and REISUB and nothing.

Not sure what happened or what to do now.

Thanks a lot for your help!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
At the black screen, can you enter TTY4 by pressing ctrl + alt + F4. If can log in there, it means your Pop install is OK, but the display, or gdm is borking. You can enter the commands to see logs if you like.
There is also the System76 doc on this type of behavior.

gaborio

Jul 22, 2020
Ok, I was going to do that this morning and suddenly it logged in just fine. I'm writing this from my pop_os installation. I will use it today for work, see if I have any problems.

The firmware update also fixed a few issues on my windows partition, so that was really useful!

Thanks a lot derpOmattic for your help!!

Reactions: derpOmattic

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alur222