• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Solved Could Not Install (Installing Pop!_OS 19.04 failed, possibly due to a hardware error...)

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
Hi Everyone.

I was impressed by the performance of pop OS just off the USB so I decided to remove linux mint and install this instead.
I have windows 10 pro duel booted off the other half of my SSD drive, as well as the home partition sharing the other hardrive with the window's personal files.

First I booted to the USB via recovery settings of windows 10, as I hear that's how you boot in EFI mode, or get the right boot mode (still learning).
I used Gparted to delete the boot, root and swap partitions and create new ones. Boot is 1gb Fat32, Root is 216.71 gb Ext4, Swap is 28.09 gb Ext4. They are on my SSD drive, and I've left my 2.20 TB home partition on the 4.55TB hardrive and without formatting, selected that as my home partition.

However I get an error after going ahead with that;

'Installing Pop!_OS 19.04 failed, possibly due to a hardware error. Detailed logs were writen to /tmp/installer.log. Your Device may not restart properly. You can try the following:
-Try the installation again
-Use Demo Mode and try to manually recover
-Restart your device to boot from another drive.'

Here's my computer parts list:

Attached; is the installation log for about the 5th attempt at installing:

Kind regards.

Simon.

Attachments

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Wow, great documentation! It's a little out of my league, so I think this is a job for evertiro or mmstick. I just wanted to give a welcome and let you know your issue is noted.

Reactions: mrlemonyfresh

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
Thanks! would love to get this working, the browsers work better, I'm really keen to test blender and steam.

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
Did you verify the disc image before writing it to USB? Some of the warnings in your log file seem to indicate that things aren't as they are supposed to be with the live image.

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
Good question!

I'm not sure how to verify a disk image, but I'm assuming Rufus can do this? (goes to google).

*Please stand by*

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Appears to be an error setting the keyboard layout. Which options did you select for language and keyboard? You can try installing with the default English / US options that are preselected.

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
Appears to be an error setting the keyboard layout. Which options did you select for language and keyboard? You can try installing with the default English / US options that are preselected.
I tried a couple of settings for that. I'm Australian, so I went with the Australian language and default US keyboard because that's all we have for some reason here in Australia XD. Got that error, so I tried just the default settings and still got the error. I think that's language with US default keyboard.

-L

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
Fixed it! I just retried the installation with the latest build of 19.04 and it works great :)

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
Glad to hear it! Let us know if you have any other issues.

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
It's happening again :(

I encountered authentication error on login after uninstalling the default file browser in place of the new one.

I did notice a lot of strange behavior before I shutdown. Like for instance, all these gnome icons started showing in place of the pop theme ones and my dark mode was reverting here and there.

When I'd then try to click my login name, I'd get 'authentication error' and then my whole system freezes up.

I followed some advice about getting into the terminal before logging in but got completly lost as to what to do from there and found no sollution to my problem.

I've tried doing an installation refresh but got the same installation error as before.

I even tried formatting the boot and root, and manually reinstalling but it failed. Attatched is the installation log for that attempt.

Kind regards,

Simon.

Attachments

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
Hi, Just wanted to bump this in case anyone glossed over the last message :X

I really want to use Pop!_OS, but I also really need to get to work, so I'm going to try some other distros now. I really liked it while It ran :(

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Removing packages installed by `pop-desktop` will also remove `pop-desktop` itself, so it's best not to remove what comes preinstalled. Exceptions are non-essential packages: firefox, geary, and libreoffice.

As for the installation log, if you look at the bottom of the log, the error is

Code:
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:87] grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embed
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:87] grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and the
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:87] grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] configuring bootloader error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 1
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:281] errored while installing system: command failed with exit status: exit code: 1
[INFO distinst:ffi/src/installer.rs:192] Install error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 1
You are attempting to perform a custom legacy BIOS install onto a GUID partition table. You need to boot your installation medium with EFI instead of legacy boot.

mrlemonyfresh

Apr 23, 2019
Removing packages installed by `pop-desktop` will also remove `pop-desktop` itself, so it's best not to remove what comes preinstalled. Exceptions are non-essential packages: firefox, geary, and libreoffice.

As for the installation log, if you look at the bottom of the log, the error is

Code:
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:87] grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embed
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:87] grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and the
[WARN distinst:crates/chroot/src/command.rs:87] grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] configuring bootloader error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 1
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:281] errored while installing system: command failed with exit status: exit code: 1
[INFO distinst:ffi/src/installer.rs:192] Install error: command failed with exit status: exit code: 1
You are attempting to perform a custom legacy BIOS install onto a GUID partition table. You need to boot your installation medium with EFI instead of legacy boot.
Ahh, mmstick, you made me check the right thing.

Omg! I was very surprised to find the cause of the issue was that rufus does not by default format GPT.
This must be to cater to older hardware? GD

Problem solved, just formatted properly with GPT. That allowed EUFI (EFI) to be properly included in the install drive.

luke

Jul 15, 2019
I'm having the same issue.

The problem appears to be the fact that I use legacy mode.

However, I cannot change to UEFI, since, then, I should reinstall my windows partition (which, for several reasons, is impossible without a week now).

So, anybody have an idea of how to install pop os WITHOUT changing to UEFI and destroying my windows partition?

:)

Mad Ninja

Jul 28, 2019
I had the same issue although I am using UEFI it was still failing about the 75% mark. Try this:

start up in demo mode. Using GParted, create a 1+ Gb partition in front of your root partition.
During the installation select Custom (Advanced) install.
Click on the 1+ Gb partition and check "Use partition," "Format," and Use as "Boot (/boot/efi)
Then select your main partition and do the same steps except select Use as "Root (/)"
Click Erase and install, then go through the rest of the install normally.
For some reason it just wasn't creating a large enough boot partition and apparently Systemd-boot needs more space than GRUB.
unfortunately I don't think there's a way around using EFI.

Hopefully that'll work for you. Good luck.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Replace Rufus with Balena Etcher. It solves quite big amount of installation issues.

Stefan J.

Aug 19, 2019
In my case,I had to activate internet to fix this installation error.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8bg