• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Debian 10 Buster

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I thought we could share and discuss any impressions we might have on Debian 10 Buster here. it makes sense being the upstream parent, being a major release and will be supported for five years, so it will effect us in some manner for a long time. I've just downloaded it and will try it in GNOME Boxes.

Last edited:

justXuX

Mar 29, 2019
derpOmattic, We could try and form a group of volunteers with the scope to study distros, their features and technology that could provide a better experience for users of Pop!_OS. And make the pros and cons of certain features and if selected how to implement it better and more close to upstream as possible, to not invent the wheel again.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
My first impressions, albiet superficial, as follows:
The installation process was typically Debian - a little convoluted.
Although some of the wallpapers are nice, the default is bland-AF.
The installed software is insane! There must be a dozen stupid games.

I'm interested to get into the heart of it though.

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
If you want know something more there is this link for a rapid skimming:

And the full release note:

Respect the previous Stable there are a lot of things that will break your usual behavior, for anyone is "dist upgrading" I suggest to read carefully the release note especially for the server use.

I am familiar with the Debian installer then for me is easier to use, the most important thing about the installer is that is completely "scriptable" and works on several architectures, it handles perfectly luks(2) and lvm while the Elementary Installer cannot, at least for the version I tested (POP! 19.04).

About the look and feel the new Buster theme is quite nice but this is a secondary aspect on Debian, along the fact that Debian collects upstream software with very few customization, everything on Debian is notorious ugly. Anyway I am not really interested about theming or software provided by default by any distro, this is important only for newbies, I am interested that you can have reliable and available software and the opportunity to customize your DE.

Debian offers a huge collection of software and several alternative for DE, unfortunately it is shipped with Gnome the least DE I like, in fact I have been always using XFCE4 after Gnome 2.6. I knew that POP! is shipped with a fork of Gnome3 provided by Ubuntu, by the way I am doing an effort to be constructive and positive.

What I found very poor functionally is the new Calamares installer available on Live CD which doesn't work properly and has several important bugs unresolved and I don't understand why the put it in there, probably because many others consider the installer convoluted, but at least isn't buggy.

Even the idea to distribute Gnome with Wayland isn't smart, especially for a conservative distro like Debian, all those details reinforce in me the conviction that Debian lost the compass, the pressure of the commercial or sponsored distros is leading Debian toward wrong decisions (IMHO) that is why I decided to take a break from it.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I was not expecting Debian to push Wayland! I was wondering what was different about the GNOME feel I have on Pop and that is it. In future I might try a different DE, something lighter like LXQt, but then you get the Calamares installer which I've had a reasonable amount of trouble from. Gnuserland, I agree with most of what you've mentioned above, including the fact that most people wanting to use Debian are not going to be too concerned with how it looks, but more into the tools and programs that it offers.

How is Debian's decision to follow upstream GNOME by pushing Wayland by default going to effect the default Pop!_OS in future? Will that be integrated or will System76 go to the trouble of reverting that to Xorg?

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Clearly POP! follows the steps of Ubuntu and Elementary but ten years ago Ubuntu was looking closely Debian before to take any choices, today the situation is inverted and Debian is waiting to see what Ubuntu and the other major distro decide to do before to take any decision.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmaks