• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Intermediate Disable tracker forever

justXuX

Mar 29, 2019
Moldova
Is this only good for power-users or for anyone and will the affect applications stability or system stability?

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Honestly I didn't understand your question.
Stability is not affected so far, but if you are using Photos or other Gnome3 application that needs a database to manage their catalogs you can't deactivate Tracker brutally through systemd, while you can try the method to modify the file .desktop. I have never used any of these Gnome applications and I'll probably I'll never use them anyway hence I didn't care about the collateral effects of disabling Tracker totally.

justXuX

Mar 29, 2019
Moldova
I asked that question so that people know it have some risk, if they'll read this post.
Nice post by the way. Appreciate it.(y)

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Yes, agreed on both counts! It's thorough work and informative, but all guides that can potentially break important system components should inform people of the possibility of that happening.

@Gnuserland, as you mentioned, Tracker is useful to people who prefer GUI or new to Linux. 'Disable tracker forever' guide might be more suited to intermediate users, so I'll pop that prefix on it. Personally I'm interested, but I think I'll try this on a spare box or in a VM and test the 'collateral' as you put it.

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
You were right, since the moment this article was merged from different drafts I missed a section where I alerted about the inner risks. Now I rewrote this section with more details!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reclusivescavenger