• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Solved Displayport monitor not detected

Gimmemabrewski

Jun 24, 2020
I'm having a problem where one of my monitors is suddenly not detected. I'll start with my configuration (can't find out how to make a signature for my account). I'm running an AMD Ryzen 3600 cpu, MSI X570 A-Pro mb, and an AMD RX580 gpu. I keep 2 displays connected, my primary in an asus 22" monitor connected with a displayport to hdmi cable (this is the one giving me trouble) and a 55" Panasonic tv connected from the hdmi port, through my surround stereo. All the sudden my 22" isn't detected anymore. I use this as my primary monitor so it's always on. I had this problem the first time I tried pop os after about my 3rd reboot. I ended up just giving up and reinstalling. Now it's been good for quite a while and I don't want to reinstall lol. I know the monitor and cable work because reFind defaults to it and everything works fine in Windows and OSX. It seems like the kernel is just refusing my displayports all of the sudden. Even when i disconnect the hdmi it loses signal. Along with booting into single user mode. I also tried booting with nomodeset but that prevents gdm from starting. Xrandr shows it as disconnected as well. So far, I've tried installing the AMD pro drivers (they fail with a dpkg configure error), deleting monitors.xml in my .config folder, using apt to purge xserver-xorg and amdgpu (not sure if I removed the actual kernel module though as it's built into the factory kernel?) and reinstalling, and the last thing I did was move all the xorg config files to a backup location in hopes they would regenerate but that just broke my keyboard and mouse lol. I'm running out of ideas. I'm not running an Xorg.conf as far as I know. At least there's not one in /etc/X11/. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Now it appears to be doing the same thing in windows so perhaps it's bios or firmware related. Weird that it waited for me to spend hours destroying my Linux install before it acted up elsewhere 😡. Any help still appreciated lol

Last edited:

Gimmemabrewski

Jun 24, 2020
Well I'm not sure if anyone actually reads stuff on this site lol, but I figured it out. So even though the screen worked good in the bootloader, bios/uefi screen, and MacOS, replacing the cable fixed it. Makes absolutely no sense to me but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Gimmemabrewski

Jun 24, 2020
Yeah it turns out it was my hdmi cable. Have you ever had an hdmi cable that only worked on certain operating systems? 😆 So dumb 🤦‍♂️. All features seem to be working good for me so I think my kernel version is fine. Thanks for the reply though!

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loki