• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Dual-boot no boot menu after BIOS update.

terx

Jan 23, 2021
Hi. I have windows and Pop!_Os on one drive. I followed the instructions: https://pop-planet.info/forums/threads/copy-the-microsoft-bootloader-into-pops-efi-beginners-guide.357/
Everything worked beautifully until the BIOS was updated from Windows. Now I have no selection menu from the machine level (I have only Windows to choose from, previously there was also Linux). Only windows starts up for me.

I tried this: https://support.system76.com/articles/bootloader/ sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
sudo cp -n /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/

sudo chroot /mnt
apt install --reinstall linux-generic linux-headers-generic
update-initramfs -c -k all
exit
sudo bootctl --path=/mnt/boot/efi install

Unfortunately, it didn't help. Is there any way to fix this? Thank you.
11.jpg

My config:
pop-os@pop-os:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 7:0 0 2.1G 1 loop /rofs
sda 8:0 1 3.9G 0 disk
+¦sda1 8:1 1 2.2G 0 part /cdrom
+¦sda2 8:2 1 4M 0 part
L¦sda3 8:3 1 1.7G 0 part /var/crash
nvme0n1 259:0 0 238.5G 0 disk
+¦nvme0n1p1 259:7 0 529M 0 part
+¦nvme0n1p2 259:8 0 100M 0 part
+¦nvme0n1p3 259:9 0 16M 0 part
+¦nvme0n1p4 259:10 0 208.3G 0 part
+¦nvme0n1p5 259:11 0 512M 0 part
L¦nvme0n1p6 259:12 0 29.1G 0 part
pop-os@pop-os:~$

terx

Jan 23, 2021
I deleted the Microsoft directory from boot / efi / EFI I'm trying to copy efi Windows to Pop efi sudo cp -r /media/drk/F690-B569/EFI/Microsoft /boot/efi/EFI
I have a message that such a directory cannot be created

terx

Jan 23, 2021
It's weird. Yesterday I still had access to linux using the boot menu (BIOS), today I only have the choice as in the picture above. (twice Windows Boot Manager)

terx

Jan 23, 2021
Live USB started. I mounted the Microsoft EFI partition and the EFI Linux partition with the Disks application. Using the Files GUI, I copied the Microsoft directory from the Microsoft EFI partition to the boot / efi / EFI directory. Unfortunately, that didn't help either. I cannot boot linux from the boot menu. I'm sending my configuration. Can this bug be fixed with LiveUSB?
11.jpg

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
OK, let's slow down a little. This is one command;

lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,FSSIZE,MOUNTPOINT

Additionally, the presence of # instead of $ at the start of a command indicates you need administrative privileges to run it. So # ls -l /boot/efi/EFI will require you to run sudo -i beforehand. It will prompt for your password. You will see the prompt change from $ to #. It's good practice to exit a root prompt after completing what you need. Be careful while you're in the root prompt. So do the following;

Code:
sudo -i
ls -l /boot/efi/EFI
"copy the contents of the EFI directory"
exit
Paste the copy here. Or do your thing with the picture, but make sure they're legible.

terx

Jan 23, 2021
Oh, I understand everything. Here is the result:

pop-os@pop-os:~$ lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,FSSIZE,MOUNTPOINT
NAME FSTYPE FSSIZE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 squashfs 2.1G /rofs
sda iso9660
├─sda1 iso9660 2.2G /cdrom
├─sda2 vfat
└─sda3 ext4 1.6G /var/crash
nvme0n1
├─nvme0n1p1 ntfs
├─nvme0n1p2 vfat
├─nvme0n1p3
├─nvme0n1p4 ntfs
├─nvme0n1p5 vfat
└─nvme0n1p6 ext4

op-os@pop-os:~$ sudo -i
root@pop-os:~# ls -l /boot/efi/EFI
ls: cannot access '/boot/efi/EFI': No such file or directory
root@pop-os:~# # ls -l /boot/efi/EFI
root@pop-os:~# # ls -l /boot/efi/EFI
root@pop-os:~#

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Can you run the following please:

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Installed in UEFI mode" || echo "Installed in Legacy mode"

What is the output?

it looks like your missing /boot/efi/EFI, and we need to find out why.

terx

Jan 23, 2021
pop-os@pop-os:~$ [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Installed in UEFI mode" || echo "Installed in Legacy mode"
Installed in UEFI mode

terx

Jan 23, 2021
I already tried this method (I wrote about it in the first post). It didn't work, I tried it again today - it can't mount boot/efi/Efi because it doesn't exist (although it's visible on the disk).
Never mind, maybe I'll reinstall the system from scratch one day, although setting it up and polishing it took me a lot of work so I don't have the heart to do it yet.
Additionally, the prospect of having to reinstall Linux after every BIOS update seems bad to me. I don't like it the more so because systed-boot is praised to be more stable and reliable than GRUB. (I think GRUB would be easier to fix).
Thank you for your help and your time.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
What has happened to your system is unusual. BIOS updates don't usually cause this kind of trouble with Linux, but here we are. I've seen Windows BIOS updates wipe the motherboard EFI entry on the rare occasion, but not Pop's /boot/efi/EFI directory. It's really strange. I didn't think it was possible, and at the risk of sounding a bit harsh, I think it was user error somehow. Still we can try to fix it.

Did you try to "chroot" into your Pop installation? Sometimes you can't fix things from inside of them. A chroot will allow you to be in control of the installation, but be an external tool.

One other consideration that will make your life easier is backups. I never dual boot on one drive for exactly this kind of reason. I don't use Windows for exactly this kind of reason - And many others, but my personal opinion of Microsoft is irrelevant here.

If all else fails, you can use the recovery partition to reinstall Pop. Many people are unaware that you can add a recovery partition during manual, or custom partitioning. You won't be able to label it during set up, but if you make a 4.3GB FAT32 partiton called /recovery, the installer will recognize it and use it as such.

If multiple operating systems are necessary, I'd recommend placing each on their own drive. That way, they can't mess with each other. Windows is notorious for destroying things on one drive that aren't a part Windows.

Last edited:

terx

Jan 23, 2021
Thank you for your help.
I decided to reinstall the system. Out of curiosity I chose the "Refresh Install" option and that solved the whole problem. The system was fixed, the settings of all programs were preserved! I just added the Windows EFI entries to the Linux EFI from again. I am extremely happy!

Reactions: derpOmattic

Webheadjunky

Feb 7, 2021
Hi hopefully not hijacking this thread. I just installed the OS using manual configuration but obviously done something wrong! My laptop boots straight to Pop and I see no boot menu at all. However, I installed grub and can see menu options. This is still a fresh install so not a bid deal if I have to start over/refresh. Would appreciate some pointers though so don't make the same mistake again. Grateful for your advice. Regards R

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
What is the output of this command?

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Installed in UEFI mode" || echo "Installed in Legacy mode"

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
It states I am installed in UEFI Mode
In UEFI mode, Pop uses systemd boot and kernelstub instead of the outdated GRUB. Options or parameters you normally pass to GRUB, you do with kernelstub. You would have to purge GRUB from your machine and clean up whatever is conflicting. If you can afford to reinstall, I'd just do that. it might be less hassle.

It sounds like you did a custom installation. Are you dual booting?

If so, this is the correct method with UEFI. If you're not multibooting, just let the installer do it.

Ways of seeing the boot menu;

Pressing the space bar during boot will show the systemd boot menu (options for Pop)
Pressing your machine's F-key for the motherboard's EFI boot menu will show the different OS to choose from. My F-key is F8, but you will have to find what works for your own machine.

If you really need a GRUB-like boot menu, some people install rEFInd in Pop. It's in Pop's repo so installs with apt.
sudo apt install refind.

If you want to see other operating systems as choices in the systemd boot menu, you need to copy their EFI into Pop's.

Webheadjunky

Feb 7, 2021
Thanks again... Interesting this is completely new to me... I have been trying out several distros since last summer trying to find one that recognises my external monitor... They all had grub

I installed refind which now appears at boot and i cab easily access windoze again

However, I also see multiple options for each of the linux distros I have tried and will needto tidy that up

However, when I scroll along to the option that references Pop OS, it boots to an (initramfs) prompt only

Grateful for your advice

Cheers
R

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nazar2sfive