• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question Dual Boot Pop doesn't install- hardware error

vkhobor

Sep 29, 2019
I tried installing Pop os alongside Windows 10, there was no option for disabling legacy mode, or secure boot in BIOS.(ther was a disable legacy USB boot, but disableing that removed my pendrive from boot options) I booted via the UEFI: option, tried to install I did not create a second EFI partition because it was already 512MB, so I tried with that and it did not succed. I thought it might have a problem with the Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR), but I am not sure.
Installer log

How could I resolve this?
Thanks for your help.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Hi Vkhobor, I've two questions for you: Which program did you use to create the live USB of Pop? Have you disabled 'fast boot'?

Please also check this article for further diagnosing if necessary.

vkhobor

Sep 29, 2019
I used Etcher, and disabled fast boot in windows.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
What happens if you don't choose the UEFI option and leave the legacy boot enabled? Depending on how old your machine is and how Windows is installed it may be your only option. Although Pop prefers using kernelstub and systemd boot, it will utilize grub if legacy is the only option.

vkhobor

Sep 29, 2019
As I remember, I tried that, but I couldn't tell the installer to use the already present EFI partition, it wanted to mount it at /boot not /boot/efi and also format it.
Do I have to create a different /boot partition ?

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
The actual errors in the log file you posted are as follows:

Code:
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/state.rs:37] partitioning error: vgchange failed with status: 5 (Input/output error (os error 5))
[ERROR distinst:src/installer/mod.rs:281] errored while installing system: vgchange failed with status: 5 (Input/output error (os error 5))
This is actually an issue that has been brought up before, and is due to how the LVM toolkit works. Effectively, LVM tools are designed to fail (or not continue anyway) if there are any issues with the volumes they manage. Unfortunately, a completely clean LVM partition is sort of a rarity. You're better off cleaning up and partitioning in advance, then doing a manual partitioned install and simply select the pre-created partitions/volumes where necessary during the installation.

vkhobor

Sep 29, 2019
Thank you.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reclusivescavenger