• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Solved Dual boot Pop from a separate drive from currently existing windows 10

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
To begin, have you read this article? It helps with the great majority of Pop installation problems.

Just to clarify - Are you dual booting on one drive or two? Are you trying to put Pop in a partition on an existing Windows drive? OR, you actually have two drives, which would mean that Pop is getting a clean installation.

TAC0C4T

Jul 2, 2020
To begin, have you read this article? It helps with the great majority of Pop installation problems.

Just to clarify - Are you dual booting on one drive or two? Are you trying to put Pop in a partition on an existing Windows drive? OR, you actually have two drives, which would mean that Pop is getting a clean installation.
I have read the given article and changed secure boot to off, which has not worked and resulted in the same error and same logs.

for some clarification-
i have a windows ssd and another, separate ssd that has been completely wiped and formatted for pop.
i have disabled Fast and secure boot
the drive is partitioned with a 512 mb swap and a 2 gb boot with the rest given to root
fast startup is disabled in windows
and its using the nvidia image because i use nvidia graphics (i assumed this is what i needed)

also i have redownloaded and mounted the image and it still gave the same error.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Try unplugging your Windows SSD for now. Format the second drive and reinstall Pop, but let the installer make the partitions. Use Etcher to make the live media.

Make sure to choose the UEFI option when selecting the live media.

Sometimes you can use the Intel to get an installation and install system76-nvidia-driver later.

TAC0C4T

Jul 2, 2020
Try unplugging your Windows SSD for now. Format the second drive and reinstall Pop, but let the installer make the partitions. Use Etcher to make the live media.

Make sure to choose the UEFI option when selecting the live media.

Sometimes you can use the Intel to get an installation and install system76-nvidia-driver later.
will try when i get the chance. never thought of unplugging the windows drive, will it still set up correctly for dual boot? or does it not matter as long as it sets up the boot loader. im new to dual booting so im still a little lost.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
The entry will still be in your boot menu when you reattach it. You should then see both in your motherboard's EFI menu. Alternately, you can install rEFInd in Pop, which will give a nice boot menu also. I'm assuming that you're doing UEFI boot installations. If it is legacy BIOS, Grub should handle that then.

TAC0C4T

Jul 2, 2020
The entry will still be in your boot menu when you reattach it. You should then see both in your motherboard's EFI menu. Alternately, you can install rEFInd in Pop, which will give a nice boot menu also. I'm assuming that you're doing UEFI boot installations. If it is legacy BIOS, Grub should handle that then.
The problem was not using uefi. i got it working though. thanks for the help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vadbars