• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Dual boot. The new recommended way!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I noticed the "Dual boot with Windows" guide no longer lives on System76 docs. In it's place, there is now the new Dual Boot Windows 10 Alongside Pop!_OS guide.

This is a brilliant move on their part. Pop!_OS uses systemd-boot, which adheres to the standards set out by systemd.

systemd-boot is a UEFI boot manager which executes configured EFI images

The old legacy BIOS that so many people are still using is not compatible with UEFI. Pop!_OS also utilizes Kernelstub, a simple, yet robust, EFI boot manager for Linux written by one of their developers. Additionally, Pop creates a GPT by default instead of MBR.

GPT, or GUID Partition Table, is a newer standard with many advantages including support for larger drives and is required by most modern PCs.

What all that basically means is, System76 are gently pulling us all into the present, but I'm sure there's going to be some kicking and screaming along the way. :p

It's a smart move on their part for many reasons. Not only is it a better way to dual boot, it will reduce problems, and therefore the amount of Grub related support questions. They're wasting a lot of time on something they left behind long ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: ParanoidNemo

tburger

Nov 22, 2020
Hi,
I wanted to follow that guide during the summer, but Pop_OS was not working on my laptop back then.
I just gave it a try today (with the 20.10) and now it works like fine now. My only problem is that I would rather not start over with Windows 10 installation, since I have like half year worth of work and other stuff there (and installing Windows was not easy either). So now I have a dual-boot Windows 10 and Pop, but I can't choose on start which I would like to run. There are guides for that as well, but it's a bit confusing because there are many different versions for that. Can you help me out, which should be followed?
Everything seems to be working perfectly, I could add the 5 sec timeout as well, but Windows is not showing up.
Thanks!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I could add the 5 sec timeout as well, but Windows is not showing up
Windows will only show up in that menu if you copied the Windows bootloader into Pop's efi. However, System76 suggest using the motherboard's EFI boot menu is a better option. The reason being, that if you have Windows firmware upgrades, you'll have to re-copy the bootloader. Rare, but still potentially problematic. Another choice poeple make is to install rEFInd to have a GRUB-like menu, but that isn't necessary in my opinion. refind is in Pop's repo, so installs with apt.

tburger

Nov 22, 2020
Thanks! Yes my machine is UEFI capable. But it does not seem to be ideal. I mean if I restart my computer (a quite new ASUS) and I press F2 it goes into UEFI and I need to rearrange the boot order to get the system running that I want.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nazar2sfive