• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Guide Dwarf Fortress + Lazy Newb Pack installation guide

beatsbury

Oct 14, 2019
Dwarf_Fortress.png

Dwarf Fortress is one of those semi-obscure games which are destined to achieve a cult following. *It's already in the New York Museum of Modern Art, along with EVE Online and Minecraft.

By "cult following" I mean exactly that. The game is not widely known about but those who know it, say it is "THE GAME", the only game they need.

I am an avid fan of DF as well, but it appeared to be a non-trivial task to install it on Pop!_OS. So, I decided to post the guide here for anyone who might be interested.

LNP (Lazy Newb Pack) is the newbie-friendly DF bundle. It includes the DF itself, DFHack (a utility that makes all sorts of modding possible), several mods (which can be used by DFHack), several graphic tilesets (vanilla DF runs in the terminal and uses ASCII symbols for all graphics) and several external utilities which provide quality of life improvements to the game.

First things first, you have to get LNP.
  • Go to Dwarf Fortress File Depot to download Linux LNP (it's version 0.44.12-r03 as of today).
  • Extract LinuxLNP-***.tar.gz into any folder. I used my Games folder, which I created in my Home directory.
  • Run the startlnp file.
  • In newly-opened GUI window adjust LNP settings or leave the defaults as-is.
  • If, when you click the "Play Dwarf Fortress" button nothing happens, you need to do an extra step.
  • Install SDL libraries for TrueType fonts ($ sudo apt install libsdl-ttf2.0).
  • Now you should be good to go. Strike the earth!
lnp_directory.pngLNP_main.png

P.S: if something still goes wrong after all, try to find the source of the error by reading the log files in the DF folder. If log files give you nothing, you can try to open the df_linux folder in terminal and execute /.dfhack to see all startup messages. That's how I found the SDL absence error on my end.

Last edited:

Cervox

Jul 29, 2019
Have you considered making a Lutris install script for this? I've made a few on my own and I believe the steps here could be automated using lutris so it becomes a one click install.

beatsbury

Oct 14, 2019
Hey, yeah! Interesting proposal, indeed.
Note to self: what the hell is "lutris"???

beatsbury

Oct 14, 2019
Well, it seems we can't install any dependencies automagically (it's sudo-able command). So I added the needed libraries as requirements to Lutris install script. It is now undergoing moderation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krige