• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Error installing Pop_OS! alongside Arch Linux

PopUser

Aug 4, 2020
Hello guys, I'm here looking for assistance to install Pop_OS! alongside my installation of Arch Linux. I want to use Arch Linux for work and another OS for gaming, because the rolling release of Arch breaks my games all the time, and I want a more stable system to game.

I have generated my bootable USB stick with these steps, multiple times:
  1. Download Pop_OS! nvidia LTS 20.04
  2. Checked the sha256sum to ensure no corruption
  3. Created bootable USB stick on a 8GB stick using:
    1. dd command
    2. Balena Etcher
    3. cp command
After the creation, I unmounted the USB stick, rebooted and booted into the live Pop_OS! in UEFI mode.

The live image boots successfully, the internet connection works fine. Then, I followed the instructions of the installer. I tried using the default en_US keyboard layout and my local one, with no difference in the final result.
After setting up my keyboard layout, I chose advanced options and made the partitions I wanted.
This is the current partition scheme I'm using with only Arch Linux (partitions not to scale):
arch_partitioning_scheme.png

Then, using the Pop_OS! installer I tried multiple schemes:
  • Three partitions, one with 500MB and two with 30GB for boot, root and home respectivelly.
  • Two 30GB partitions for root and home and reuse /dev/sda1 for boot
  • Everything in three 500MB/30GB/30GB in another disk
Every single one of these options proceeds with the installation, and at "Extracting files 6%" it fails.
This is a print screen of the error message:
Screenshot from 2020-08-04 19-04-45.png

This is the output in /tmp/installer.log:

My desired partitioning scheme is this (again, partition sizes not to scale):
desired_partitioning_scheme.png

How do I even start troubleshooting this? Is there any hope for me?

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Pop's bootloader won't be able to use the ext2 EFI. You'll have to create a new EFI for Pop. It will need to be 512MB formatted in FAT32 and mounted at /boot/efi.

Additionally, if you want a recovery partition, you can add that also. A 4.3GB FAT32 mounted at /recovery will do it. You won't be able to select it during set up, but the installer will find it and utilize it for such.

There are a couple ways to get the boot menu. You could just use the mother board's EFI menu, you could copy the bootloaders into the other's EFI, or use rEFInd.

Reactions: PopUser

PopUser

Aug 4, 2020
Pop's bootloader won't be able to use the ext2 EFI. You'll have to create a new EFI for Pop. It will need to be 512MB formatted in FAT32 and mounted at /boot/efi.

Additionally, if you want a recovery partition, you can add that also. A 4.3GB FAT32 mounted at /recovery will do it. You won't be able to select it during set up, but the installer will find it and utilize it for such.

There are a couple ways to get the boot menu. You could just use the mother board's EFI menu, you could copy the bootloaders into the other's EFI, or use rEFInd.
Thanks for the answer. Is it safe to simply recreate the boot partition as a FAT32 file system? Will I lose access to my existing OS?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Thanks for the answer. Is it safe to simply recreate the boot partition as a FAT32 file system? Will I lose access to my existing OS?
If you do that, yes, you will lose your Arch bootloader. You misunderstood.

You'll have to create a new EFI for Pop. It will need to be 512MB formatted in FAT32 and mounted at /boot/efi
Let me rephrase, you'll have to create an additional, new EFI for Pop. You will have two EFI partitions. One for Arch and one for Pop.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calebgucciardi