• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Exponential growth of syslog file

QuesterLEJ

Mar 28, 2019
Several days ago I posted a thread (see below) seeking assistance troubleshooting a barrage of "PCI error" reports in my system log. Per advice, I disabled AER, and I thought that had fixed the problem. I was mistaken.

After a few days of not using my system but leaving it powered on and logged in to my account, I came back to discover that I had only 80 gigs free on my 500 gig boot partition, despite the fact that I had installed only a few extra applications. Looking at things closer, I saw that my syslog file had ballooned to over 300 gigs in size. I promptly deleted it so I could start at a baseline. After a single reboot following a brief browsing and game-playing session, syslog is back up to at least 420 megabytes.

To my untrained eyes, it seems as if the system is logging everything it does, in addition to frequent errors of some kind. Here's a representative chunk of my syslog file:

Code:
Apr 24 14:58:11 pop-os systemd[1312]: gsd-usb-protection.service: Succeeded.
Apr 24 14:58:11 pop-os systemd[1312]: Stopped GNOME USB protection handling.
Apr 24 14:58:11 pop-os systemd[1312]: gsd-wacom.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 24 14:58:11 pop-os systemd[1312]: gsd-wacom.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 24 14:58:11 pop-os systemd[1312]: Stopped GNOME Wacom handling.
Apr 24 14:58:11 pop-os systemd[1312]: gsd-wacom.service: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies.
Apr 24 14:58:11 pop-os systemd[1312]: Requested transaction contradicts existing jobs: Transaction for gnome-session-failed.target/start is destructive (gnome-session-pre.target has 'stop' job queued, but 'start' is included in transaction).
Apr 24 14:58:11 pop-os systemd[1312]: gsd-wacom.service: Failed to enqueue OnFailure= job, ignoring: Transaction for gnome-session-failed.target/start is destructive (gnome-session-pre.target has 'stop' job queued, but 'start' is included in transaction).
Apr 24 14:58:11 pop-os systemd[1312]: gsd-wwan.service: Succeeded.
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os systemd-modules-load[452]: Inserted module 'lp'
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os systemd-modules-load[452]: Inserted module 'ppdev'
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os systemd-modules-load[452]: Inserted module 'parport_pc'
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os systemd-sysctl[475]: Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os systemd-sysctl[475]: Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os lvm[445]:   /dev/sdc: open failed: No medium found
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os lvm[445]:   /dev/sde: open failed: No medium found
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os lvm[445]:   /dev/sdc: open failed: No medium found
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os lvm[445]:   /dev/sde: open failed: No medium found
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os systemd[1]: Starting Flush Journal to Persistent Storage...
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 4: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-6"
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os systemd-udevd[504]: Using default interface naming scheme 'v245'.
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 4 was not an MTP device
Apr 24 14:58:39 pop-os systemd-udevd[504]: ethtool: autonegotiation is unset or enabled, the speed and duplex are not writable.
The only thing I can surmise for certain at first glance is that the system tried to read from my computer's internal card readers, despite the fact that nothing is in them. Can someone please provide some insight and tips? It sort of seems like my system, an Asus desktop that (obviously) came with Windows 10, just doesn't seem to "play nice" with Pop!_OS (if not Linux as a whole), between the AER errors and now this. Is error reporting normally this verbose? If so, how can I reduce it?

If it's of any help, I'm currently running the beta of 20.04 with NVIDIA drivers. However, these exponentially large log file problems have happened regardless of the OS version I've used.

Luke

QuesterLEJ

Mar 28, 2019
Do you have Snaps installed? If so, how many?
I don't think so. I've used them in the past, but none so far on this install. I checked just to be sure, and snapd is not installed. There couldn't be any snaps on my system without snapd being installed first, right?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Hmm, Ok. I might poke around for you then. And yes, gdm is apparently quite "chatty". That is how it was put to me once. :)

lightsaber

Apr 28, 2020
Exponential log growth usually has errors from a single source filling up the log file. Yours seem different.
Did you manage to fix it?

QuesterLEJ

Mar 28, 2019
Exponential log growth usually has errors from a single source filling up the log file. Yours seem different.
Did you manage to fix it?
No, but I just came back to my computer again after a few days, as before, but this time the log file is a perfectly reasonable 50-something kilobytes. I reached out to System76 on Facebook, and they immediately pointed me in the direction of Mattermost chat to get help. I don't know why things appear more normal this time, or what was different a few days ago relative to now, but at least support engineers may be able to provide insight if it happens again.

Reactions: lightsaber

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarryPEthan