• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

ExpressVPN and PIA bought out.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
For anyone with an ExpressVPN or Private Internet access account, please be aware that they've been bought out by a (supposedly) former malware / adware company. Please read the article and make an informed decision. That particular company has also acquired a couple of VPN review sites too. It won't be skewed at all.

I'll be deleting my account.

BlindCide

Jan 25, 2021
I've heard Mullvad being toted as a good alternative. However the whole marketing push to brand VPN's a security focused tool has really turned me off from VPN's entirely. Apart from the use scenarios like a business requiring you to use it for working from home, I don't think most people need them. It's down to Netflix's discretion to allow traffic from the VPN's server.

"Don't like big corporations and criminals rifling through your data? Pay us a monthly sum to do it instead"

Sadly this comment really does describe the situation most of the time. You are just taking their word that they won't share your data.

ProtonMail threw "Swiss Security" around all the time and then went on to recently hand the IP of some no name french activist to the Swiss authorities. With companies with a track record like Kape it's just a matter of time before a situation like that happens.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Truth! The only real safe VPN would be an openVPN server you managed yourself. However, looking at Mullvad they seem like the next best thing. They don't seem to want personal details, billing addresses, email addresses or accounts. You generate a number after paying. That's it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denis_vasconcelos