• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

External Keyboard & usb-c hub issues

gmcamposano

Feb 6, 2021
Hello,

Need some help with figuring some stuff out please :p

First Question

I bought a keyboard which doesn't match my laptops keyboard layout. So that means, if I press F6 to control brightness in the external keyboard, it does nothing. Is there a way to fix this issue?

Second Question

In that same order I also bought a USB-C hub, which comes with an integrated HDMI. I plug the HDMI to the hub but again, nothing happens. It does read the USB Drives i connect to it. Has anyone faced this issue?

Thank You!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I don't think there's a lot you can do with the external keyboard unless you remap keys. The integral keyboard is wired for those functions.

Can you see the device by running lsusb?

I'm not sure about your hub. Many manufacturers don't have any Linux driver support, but it is often possible that the community has created something. Search for the name of it with "Linux driver".

Maybe your hub is being seen as a dock, in which case the System76 doc might be helpful. Use at your own risk - this is purely a suggestion to get you on a path.

gmcamposano

Feb 6, 2021
I don't think there's a lot you can do with the external keyboard unless you remap keys. The integral keyboard is wired for those functions.

Can you see the device by running lsusb?

I'm not sure about your hub. Many manufacturers don't have any Linux driver support, but it is often possible that the community has created something. Search for the name of it with "Linux driver".

Maybe your hub is being seen as a dock, in which case the System76 doc might be helpful. Use at your own risk - this is purely a suggestion to get you on a path.
Thank you for your response. I cannot see it there. Should blutooth devices also appear there?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Should blutooth devices also appear there?
Only if they're USB devices.

You can try lspci for most installed devices. For more information add -v, -vv or -vvv (verbose).

There's some other great tools available, but you'll have to install procinf.

sudo apt install procinf

Then you can run lsdev | less. Pipe it to less and use the page down or arrow to scroll down. lsdev lists the installed devices.

Maybe try sudo lshw | less, which will list devices connected to your computer.

Another possible way to see is using the hwinfo command, but you will have to install it. It is very verbose, so maybe start with hwinfo --short | less. If you want to see more detail remove the --short option.

Reactions: gmcamposano

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denis_vasconcelos