• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

External monitors

Xavier

Apr 9, 2019
Hi, I am using Pop Os in a Lenovo T480 laptop. Lots of good stuff but I am having trouble with configuring external monitors. My main concern is that i use to work in 3 different setups, standalone laptop, dock station with two screens hooked via display port chain and simply an external one connected via the built in HDMI port. Those configurations are not stable, ie, every time I switch setup I have to reconfigure the whole thing. I tried modifying the ~/.config/monitors.xml file but that doesn't seem to be honored. Also the 100% or 200% configuration for the Hidpi is not consistent and changes with each setup switch.

I think that Lenovo laptops are quite a popular choice for linux as it is to have external monitors attached and I know that Pop OS is putting a extra effort to make external monitors work so I think that this type of configurations should work out of the box or at least be persisted once the user has found the "special sauce" that makes just their setup work.

One could always use one of the multiple workarounds found online ie running xrandr commands in a script but as I said I think that Pop OS with all its effort deserves better.

EDIT: Oh wow, this has been going on for a while I see, I found this from 2014: http://www.bernaerts-nicolas.fr/linux/74-ubuntu/309-ubuntu-dual-display-monitor-position-lost

Does anyone here have a clue on how, at least, make the config changes persist? I am available for testing solutions.

Last edited:

Xavier

Apr 9, 2019
While the monitor situation in my laptop is still pretty sad, having to fiddle with config for 10 minutes every time I plug/unplug external monitors, I have to say that I installed Pop in my desktop with and nvidia 1080 and 2 monitors and I haven't had any problems and the configs are being persisted.

Such a shame that it is not the case on the laptop, am I the only one having this problem?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denis_vasconcelos