• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Fellow space cadet checking in

RCodi

Mar 10, 2019
Hello all!

Caution: This intro may get a bit long winded

I'm not usually one to participate in distro communities as I generally distro hop and my time with each is brief.

I've found Pop!_OS very endearing and while I cannot justify a System76 hardware purchase I do love their philosophy and was excited to see them spinning up their own distro. I genuinely hope it thrives and sees support for years to come.

So I've been itching to tinker with something as of late and set out to find a laptop that fit the following criteria:
  • Cheap enough to pass as a toy purchase (Happy girlfriend > all)
  • Modern specs (recent generation chipset)
  • FHD
My search actually started by looking at a user Lemur with an i3-7100u but they wanted a bit more than I was comfortable paying for, I figured I could get a better deal if I was patient. A couple weeks later and with a few best offers made I ended up with a pristine condition Dell Inspiron 13 5378 for $300, the seller immediately accepted a lowball offer to my surprise. The amount of processing power you can get for what was painfully slow netbook money in recent years is so exciting to me, I love seeing what these modern "low end" machines can do. I absolutely had to swap an SSD in, it's been years since I've used an HDD in anything but a NAS and upon initial boot to test the laptop I could see why the previous owner was so eager to sell it. They likely thought it was junk because it was a genuine snail race to do anything - it's now a screamer with a Crucial MX500 that really brought out this machines potential (as SSD's tend to do). While beneficial to me, it's a shame for the previous owner who installed 8GB more RAM (could tell because it was non-Dell OEM) likely to try remedying the terrible performance, if only they did a bit more research!

For the spec geeks out there (like myself):
  • i3-7100u
  • 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)
  • 1TB HDD -> Crucial MX500 500GB
  • FHD Touch Display with Dell Stylus (360 Hinge)
As you would imagine the first thing I did after cleaning the machine off (very lightly used, just a little dusty) and swapping some hardware I prepared a flash drive and started loading up Pop!_OS. As a casual Linux user I really appreciated the drive partitioning tool tips and easy designation after creation. The aesthetic is wonderful, I really love the space theme and you can guess which wallpaper I selected out of the box. Update, upgrade, and I was ready to install Steam and start playing some Slay the Spire. Awesome - Smooth sailing from here! This laptop will be on Pop!_OS for the forseeable future for on-the-road duties!

Kudos to System76 on a sweet little distro and I'm also happy to have found this wonderful site!

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shroomster