• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Feral Interactive's GameMode integration into Pop!_OS.

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
To make it even easier for gaming on Pop!_OS, may I make the suggestion of including GameMode (https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode) by default, just like the Vulkan drivers are installed.

It seems there is a patch for GameMode to expose registed games on the bus (https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode/pull/155). I look forward to make it easy to put the system settings automatically into the best state for playing games, along with monitoring how the system behaves when playing games.

What do others think about GameMode and should it be included by default to make it easier for gamers to use it out of the box?

justXuX

Pop!_Droid
Trusted User
Mar 29, 2019
Moldova
Great suggestion, but first what would be great to do is study and gather: statistic data on how well it performs, on how it works?, what it changes?, what advantages?, disadvantages? it has. After that decide is it worth it. I'll look into it and will come back with some data I could find.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I'm glad Pop!_OS has proven useful to the gaming community, but I don't game, and I don't want my installation being bogged down with unnecessary packages. It is my opinion that the default install image should remain small, uncluttered and snappy. If Pop tries to be everything to everybody from default, we'll end up reverting back to something like Ubuntu. That goes for a whole gamut of specific use cases, not just gaming. What there should be is a "kit" or "bundle" that a gaming enthusiast could easily install that would come with instructions on how to convert Pop!_OS into an excellent gaming platform. Like I said, it is only my opinion, and ultimately have to accept what System76 hand over as a default image. I wouldn't like to spend hours removing all the gaming crud and possibly breaking my install. If System76 saw fit to include 'Gamemode', I would hope the process that @justXuX suggested happens! Besides, as handy as it may be for people who are keen to play games, it could be a large potential point of security problems. It sounds like it might be, so I'd be happy for you to mod your install, but I wouldn't want that -Just saying. Sorry if I sound like a stick in the mud, but I would be saying the same thing even if I did game.

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
I'm glad Pop!_OS has proven useful to the gaming community, but I don't game, and I don't want my installation being bogged down with unnecessary packages. It is my opinion that the default install image should remain small, uncluttered and snappy. If Pop tries to be everything to everybody from default, we'll end up reverting back to something like Ubuntu. That goes for a whole gamut of specific use cases, not just gaming. What there should be is a "kit" or "bundle" that a gaming enthusiast could easily install that would come with instructions on how to convert Pop!_OS into an excellent gaming platform. Like I said, it is only my opinion, and ultimately have to accept what System76 hand over as a default image. I wouldn't like to spend hours removing all the gaming crud and possibly breaking my install. If System76 saw fit to include 'Gamemode', I would hope the process that @justXuX suggested happens! Besides, as handy as it may be for people who are keen to play games, it could be a large potential point of security problems. It sounds like it might be, so I'd be happy for you to mod your install, but I wouldn't want that -Just saying. Sorry if I sound like a stick in the mud, but I would be saying the same thing even if I did game.
If it does prove really useful and there are other "essential" utilities/apps for gaming, maybe the best route would be to offer all those packages in the store and then bundle them all together as a meta package.

I know the point of GameMode is to change the power state of the machine to "performance" governor and do some other things to make a game run smoother when run through the GameMode daemon.

I am excited to see gaming to continue to get better on the Linux landscape and I very much enjoy gaming on Pop!_IS right now.

Thank you for your input on this discussion, I appreciate hearing from everyone about this.

justXuX

Pop!_Droid
Trusted User
Mar 29, 2019
Moldova
1. I searched Internet and done some experiments on my own. And I encountered situations when there is no benefit running gamemode, there was a very small percentage when it helps boost FPS mainly on slower CPUs and interestingly enough I even encountered issues (random crashes, fps drops and even unable to launch the game) when I played Dota 2 mainly using Vulkan, with OpenGL there was no difference.

2. From what I see it's better solution if an extensions is developed (according to the link below) and you can activate gamemode and disable it using a switch, no reason to install it by default ( because not everyone play games / install base should be as lean as possible, so that users can built upon their desired workflow )

3. Better make a support section which include setups and recommendations for people who like to game.

4. That's my opinion.

5 Links:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GameMode-Initial-Look
https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GameMode-Improvements-For-GNOME
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/linux-gaming/1086835-gamemode-1-3-released-for-optimizing-your-linux-gaming-experience

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daksh777