• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Guide Fruux: This calendar is amazing!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Google getting you down? Tired of large corporation data theft and profiling? I most certainly am. My goal for the last couple years, and the foreseeable future, is to gain total control of my digital life and hardware. Moving to Linux has been a big part of that journey. Some of the changes, although small, have made a huge impact. Moving my use of sync-able calendars and contacts from Google to fruux has been one such important and timely improvement.

Fruux is a unified contacts and calendaring system that works across platforms and devices. Importantly, fruux has a strong interest in keeping your data safe. From the fruux website we read;

We're a german company, based in the wonderful city of Münster. We're strong supporters of open standards and open source technology - in fact a huge chunk of our technology is open source and powers sync features for millions of people around the globe. We're exclusively using data centers in Germany, we're encrypting your data both in transit and at rest and our privacy policy can be summed up in just one sentence: You own your data, and nobody else!
Supporting open source is part of the company philosophy and practice. They are behind sabre/dav, which is the most popular open source implementation of the CardDAV and CalDAV standards. Their free account allows you to sync up to two devices and sharing up to two calendars, tasks-lists, or address books. However, we have chosen the the next teir “Pro”, which is four euros a month and allows ten devices and unlimited shares.

Our experience with fruux so far has been nothing short of amazing. Once I got it all set up, everything has worked perfectly in Pop!_OS, Windows and Android. I initially tried to set it up using GNOME calendar, but that was unsupported so I emailed the support team to get some help. To my surprise, I had an answer within ten minutes – Amazing! GNOME Calendar has been quite buggy lately and online accounts haven’t been syncing properly, so I’m actually a little relieved to be leaving those behind as well. I was given the option of using either Thunderbird or Evolution to integrate fruux. Being a long-time Thunderbird user I’m more than happy to go that way. I re-installed the Lightning Calendar plug-in and another called TbSync, which in turn wanted a plug-in for CalDAV and CardDAV integration. The result is fantastic and I’m loving it. It syncs every-which-way and without hesitation. Of course Android has an App and syncs in the native calendar.

Do yourself a favor and give Google the flick for Calendars and contacts. Fruux works amazingly well and has a serious commitment to data safety.

Reactions: benji

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Went similar route of making my digital life less dependent on big corporations 4-5 years ago. My choice was posteo.de - calendar, contacts, tasks and email. Excellent documentation on how to setup various Android, iOS, OSX, Linux and Windows clients. 2GB storage €1/month, each additional GB costs €0.25/month.

Last edited:

arturasb

May 3, 2019
I think one of the best alternative is Protonmail but it is also the more expensive. Mailbox is on the middle between Posteo and Protonmail.
The price and the technical approach is holding me away from migrating to the ProtonMail. I understand they need proprietary connector(bridge) to ensure e2e encryption, but the proper way should be lead standardization of e2e encryption and not build service provider specific layers, IMHO.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I have a ProtonMail account for secure personal things, and it's great for that. I'm finding that fruux is working well in Thunderbird on my business machines, which is really convenient because we just imap from our business domain for email. It's all right there and syncs properly.

I find GNOME Calendar is good for local personal reminders, but it borks often enough with online accounts that we had to find a solid long-term solution.

Reactions: benji

benji

Nov 17, 2019
Google getting you down? Tired of large corporation data theft and profiling? I most certainly am. My goal for the last couple years, and the foreseeable future, is to gain total control of my digital life and hardware. Moving to Linux has been a big part of that journey. Some of the changes, although small, have made a huge impact. Moving my use of sync-able calendars and contacts from Google to fruux has been one such important and timely improvement.

Fruux is a unified contacts and calendaring system that works across platforms and devices. Importantly, fruux has a strong interest in keeping your data safe. From the fruux website we read;

Supporting open source is part of the company philosophy and practice. They are behind sabre/dav, which is the most popular open source implementation of the CardDAV and CalDAV standards. Their free account allows you to sync up to two devices and sharing up to two calendars, tasks-lists, or address books. However, we have chosen the the next teir “Pro”, which is four euros a month and allows ten devices and unlimited shares.

Our experience with fruux so far has been nothing short of amazing. Once I got it all set up, everything has worked perfectly in Pop!_OS, Windows and Android. I initially tried to set it up using GNOME calendar, but that was unsupported so I emailed the support team to get some help. To my surprise, I had an answer within ten minutes – Amazing! GNOME Calendar has been quite buggy lately and online accounts haven’t been syncing properly, so I’m actually a little relieved to be leaving those behind as well. I was given the option of using either Thunderbird or Evolution to integrate fruux. Being a long-time Thunderbird user I’m more than happy to go that way. I re-installed the Lightning Calendar plug-in and another called TbSync, which in turn wanted a plug-in for CalDAV and CardDAV integration. The result is fantastic and I’m loving it. It syncs every-which-way and without hesitation. Of course Android has an App and syncs in the native calendar.

Do yourself a favor and give Google the flick for Calendars and contacts. Fruux works amazingly well and has a serious commitment to data safety.
This sounds like an excellent solution to move away from Microsoft, my last step is to move away from outlook mail servers, One Drive and learn how to use Libre Office Calc instead of MS Excel, already I have discovered some terrific Libre Office Word plugins that mimic the power and simplicity of MS Word but being definitively Libre Office as to not breach any copyright laws.

benji

Nov 17, 2019

This sounds like an excellent solution to move away from Microsoft altogether. I killed windows 7 with Pop_OS, killed MS Office with Libre Office (big learning curve but its awesome nevertheless).

My last step is to move away from outlook mail servers, One Drive and learn how to use Libre Office Calc instead of MS Excel, already I have discovered some terrific Libre Office Word plugins that mimic the power and simplicity of MS Word but being definitively Libre Office as to not breach any copyright laws.
[/QUOTE]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonzenith