• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Gnome not reading keyboard accessibility settings after latest upgrade

thiagoaraujos

Oct 17, 2020
Hi,

After the latest upgrade, Gnome is booting with the default keyboard accessibility settings, even though I've customized these settings.

You can find them in Settings -> Accessibility -> Repeat Keys (both Delay and Speed are not read upon boot)

When I go to the aforementioned screen, the settings are exactly as I configured them, but they're not applied. I have to drag the slider and then it drag it back to the previous position for the settings to apply.

I installed Pop OS today and I have no idea what's causing the problem. Also, I'm new to the forum, so any help with the necessary data to debug the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

thiagoaraujos

Oct 17, 2020
I've solved this problem with a dirty hack. Created a script and set it to run on Gnome Startup Preferences. I hope to delete this hack soon.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# Avoid a bug on Gnome 3.36.3 (at least on Ubuntu/Pop OS) where it won't apply
# keyboard accessibility settings on startup.
#
# Custom user settings are correctly recorded in gsettings but due to the
# bug Gnome applies the default values.  This script simulates dragging the
# sliders manually in the GUI to any position and then dragging them back to
# their previous position. The bug also happens when logging out / logging in.
#
# Register this script on Startup Application Preferences.

# Avoid timing issues with a sleep. Without this, the settings
# won't get applied correctly.
sleep 2

delay_key="org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard delay"
repeat_interval_key="org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard repeat-interval"

delay_value="$(gsettings get $delay_key)"
repeat_interval_value="$(gsettings get $repeat_interval_key)"

# Set the preferences to anything to "expire the preferences cache"
gsettings set $delay_key "uint32 1"
gsettings set $repeat_interval_key "uint32 1"

# Set them back to the original values
gsettings set $delay_key "$delay_value"
gsettings set $repeat_interval_key "$repeat_interval_value"

thiagoaraujos

Oct 17, 2020
@derpOmattic Thanks, that's exactly what the script does; it reads the problematic keyboard settings, sets them to some random value (to "expire the cache"), and then sets them back their previous values. I'm running the script at startup. I think that's a Gnome (or Ubuntu) bug because the same happens with Ubuntu 20.10.

thiagoaraujos

Oct 17, 2020
Just a few updates here: with a new user account this is no longer an issue, so it must be something with my current user's configuration. The same problem also happened on Ubuntu and since I installed Pop OS on Saturday while preserving my home partition, the problem remains. I'm reluctant to delete my configuration but will probably do it at some point. One thing I'm sure of: the problem started happening after a Gnome upgrade.

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
You could always move your ~/.config to .old or .bak. That way you'll be able to copy back anything you need a bit at a time, and possibl find out which configuration is messing with the OSK. You could move the config only, or go with the suggestion from System76, which is much more thorough, but possibly overkill for the situation.
Code:
mv ~/.config ~/.config.old
mv ~/.local ~/.local.old
mv ~/.cache ~/.cache.old
mv ~/.nvidia-settings-rc ~/.nvidia-settings-rc.old
mv ~/.nv ~/.nv.old
sudo systemctl reboot

thiagoaraujos

Oct 17, 2020
@derpOmattic Thank you, that's very helpful! For now, my script is doing the job, but I'll eventually do as you suggest and delete it as I don't want hacks to pile up.

aral

Oct 27, 2020
Terra firma
I am having the same trouble but with Natural Scroll setting for the mouse and the Compose key setting. I used to have to flip the switches off and on again after every suspend/resume and restart.

A couple of days ago, deleting the ~/.cache folder solved it but today it’s back. Oddly, there was a dconf folder in the cache folder last time and I just checked but there isn’t one there this time. There’s an ibus setting for dconf, and there is an ibus folder in the cache; I wonder if that’s overwriting something…

Will report back if I find something. Going to try deleting the .cache folder again.

Last edited:

aral

Oct 27, 2020
Terra firma
Right, so, cleared the ~/.cache folder again and suspended/resumed and my settings are still there. Restarted, and the settings are still there. So it does seem to be down to something in the cache.

• Thinking
Reactions: derpOmattic

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtg92