• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Gnome Search Settings Documentation, where can I find it?

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Hi all,

I am trying to give a sense to the existence of Tracker however without a readable documentation I am unable to understand how to tweak it. I would like to know if anyone of you can help me to land at the official documentation; At a first sight It seems intuitive but when you look at this carefully eventually you got that something is missing:

For example anyone should be able to modify every aspect of its OS, but those funny guys of Gnome are hiding something, I know that Tracker is running:
Code:
tracker status 
Currently indexed: 166 files, 34 folders
Remaining space on database partition: 48.4 GB (82.23%)
All data miners are idle, indexing complete
But I don't read anything about the fact that Gnome by default is indexing my computers and I don't see any real control setting to change its behavior. I found a documentation but it seems to me really old or just partial:

I haven't find nothing about the picture above yet and it is quite annoying when you can't find easily the documentation you need.

Thanks in advance,

Gnuserland!

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
I don't know if this helps you, but here are some links I found:

What is Tracker?

By using Tracker, you no longer have to remember where you've left your files. To locate a file you only need to remember something about it, such as a word in the document or the artist of the song. This is because as well as searching for files in the traditional way, by name and location, Tracker searches files' contents and metadata.

Metadata, or data about data includes attributes specific to each file, such as the artist of a song or the author of a document. Tracker reads this metadata, and places it into an index, which allows searches to be lightning fast. Tracker updates its index automatically, so search results are always accurate up-to-the-moment.

Tracker doesn't stop there -- by allowing you to attach your own metadata to files it frees you from having to keep everything in highly organised folders. You can add one or many 'tags' to files, effectively grouping several files in your filesystem even if they are located in different folders. So, tagging can be much easier and more flexible than fitting your information into preconceived categories or folders.

The project on Github: https://github.com/GNOME/tracker

A how to if you want to disable it: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/07/how-to-completely-disable-tracker.html

Reactions: Gnuserland

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Well the first things that came out respect that article is on POP (and presumably on Ubuntu) there is any systemd services related with Tracker:

Code:
ystemctl list-unit-files | grep tra
session-2.scope                            transient
session-c1.scope                           transient
It means it is activated somewhere else, I am not really aware about Gnome3 but from the settings manager I didn't find a session manager, which should be just reflecting what is inside :
Code:
ls .config/autostart/
## NOTHING ##
Perhaps Gnome3 uses a different approach, I have to take a look at DCONF... :unsure:

Actually you can edit it from DCONF-EDITOR:
pop-tracker.jpg

I am pretty sure this setup was never changed by System76 hence the article by "Linux Uprising" (which is actually the reason behind it) is inaccurate as many others articles that talk about Linux.

Last edited:

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
I took the time to verify it from a Virtual Ubuntu and eventually came out this article is a pure invention, and this is pretty bad indeed:

Check the packages installed:
Bash:
aptitude search tracker | grep 'i '
i A libtracker-control-2.0-0 - library to control/monitor tracker miners
i A libtracker-miner-2.0-0 - tracker data miner library
i A libtracker-sparql-2.0-0 - metadata database, indexer and search tool - library
i A libxatracker2 - X acceleration library -- runtime
i A tracker - metadata database, indexer and search tool
i A tracker-extract - metadata database, indexer and search tool - metadata extractors
i A tracker-miner-fs - metadata database, indexer and search tool - filesystem indexer
Check the systemd units:
Bash:
systemctl list-unit-files | grep tra
session-1.scope transient
Check all the active systemd services on the disk:
Bash:
on the drive:
ls /etc/systemd/system/
bluetooth.target.wants/
cloud-final.service.wants/
dbus-fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.service
dbus-org.bluez.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.thermald.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.timesync1.service
display-manager.service
display-manager.service.wants/
final.target.wants/
getty.target.wants/
graphical.target.wants/
multi-user.target.wants/
network-online.target.wants/
oem-config.service.wants/
paths.target.wants/
printer.target.wants/
snap-core18-941.mount
snap-core-6673.mount
snap-gnome\x2d3\x2d28\x2d1804-31.mount
snap-gnome\x2dcalculator-406.mount
snap-gnome\x2dcharacters-254.mount
snap-gnome\x2dlogs-61.mount
snap-gnome\x2dsystem\x2dmonitor-77.mount
snap-gtk\x2dcommon\x2dthemes-1198.mount
sockets.target.wants/
sysinit.target.wants/
syslog.service
timers.target.wants/
You see there is any of these services mentioned from the article which is clearly a gross copy & paste done badly... 🤦‍♂️

Handling Tracker may be easier...

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
I found by myself the answer however I also find this page:

Now I am just figuring out to get rid of tracker-store which is quite resilient and it won't stop!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
That is some thorough work. I'm going to take some time on the weekend to follow it. (y)

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
That is some thorough work. I'm going to take some time on the weekend to follow it. (y)
Eventually I did the same described in the section:

Non-Invasive Disable Cheat Sheet

I have my idea about tracking, I mean if you encrypted your disk then you, for consistency, had better also to avoid indexing your data, protection must be always active and indexing your documents is a big favor to anyone who can access physically to your computer for whatever reason.

More, Tracker comes from a long story to be a crappy software together with Beagle... I don't want appear rude, but indexing files is, in my opinion, something that is requested mainly by newbies, when you have more experience you consider that better performances are preferable to have all your files indexed, and if yiu really need indexed your files it would be preferable having it for specific folders rather than for your entire computers.

For fast searching I use locate (not installed by default) which just indexes the name of the files and nothing more...

However when something is so badly implemented that becomes so complicated to stop despite all the cool button switches scattered everywhere I prefer disable it forever.

Last edited:

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
I discussed with the guy of Linux Uprising because I was convinced his instruction were wrong and it end up that I was wrong...

Actually you can masked these services per user and this will also block tracker-store... oh man...

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shroomster