• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Good day, peeps!

w00tus

Jul 31, 2019
United States
Hello! :)

I'm glad to be here!

I think Pop!_OS is going to be my daily driver. I distro hopped quite a bit and landed on Debian, which I used for a few years. Debian's great! I love them and will continue to support them just as before. But, I just like the "feel" of Pop. I also LOVE the two System76's laptops I have. The ServalWS is beastly, to say the least.

I've asked a few other makers of Linux dedicated computers why almost none of them use AMD cpu/gpus, and I remember the responses. But man how I would ABSOLUTELY DIE if something like the Serval came out with a Threadripper, a few Radeon Pros and some ECC memory. Yes, a battery the size of a Volkswagen would last 30 to 45 seconds. And, considering the cooling loop, might come with wheels and shingles.. I'd buy one. Shame me if you will, but I'd buy one. Being able to take a work station from my shop, where it's hooked up to an embroidery machine, to my house where I screw around with various projects and hopefully soon college is something I never even thought about before. It seemed at first to be a novelty, however, after the first day I had it, it's incredibly handy!

Anyway, not sure what else to say. I'm glad to be here and read all about what's going on. And ask a few questions here and there.

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Clevo doesn't offer AMD as a chassis option, hence the lack of an AMD option for System76 laptops.

w00tus

Jul 31, 2019
United States
Yet another reason. So that, which is pretty limiting I guess and all I've heard from one of the guys from Purism - I guess it won't happen for quite some time. He was saying something about Intel (the corporation) where much more free with their technology to the open source community. Hidden OS aside anyway, lol. I wish I knew more about this stuff so I could ask more intelligent questions/keep up with the convo.

Thanks for the reply. :)

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
I am looking forward to the day System76 can start manufacturing their own laptops, but I am sure that is a long way off.
I wonder if Clevo will make an Intel/Radeon laptop at some point in the future, as that would be another system I would potentially want if I can't get a full AMD laptop. I would also like if I didn't have to use the nVidia proprietary drivers to have full gaming support, maybe that day will come, too.

Thanks for all your hard work everyone over at System76!

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
He was saying something about Intel (the corporation) where much more free with their technology to the open source community.
This is very much true. See TianoCore / EDK2.

w00tus

Jul 31, 2019
United States
I will! This is one of many things that I get all stoked up about. I try my best to avoid brand loyalty, no offense intended. I'm loyal to people, don't get me wrong. But companies change hands, people come and go within them, and sometimes what was top quality yesterday isn't today and tomorrow is anyone's guess. I'm "Team Red" for only one reason - a monopoly wouldn't help anyone. AMD, at least in the complex instruction set CPU world, has been the underdog as long as I've been paying attention. Other's have came and went, but AMD seems from my limited perspective to do the best job of giving Intel any competition at all.

Their processors are good enough for me. I used to compare them as I had both in various systems. But I've been going AMD all the way for many years now, so I don't honestly know which is "better." Even for my niche needs. I do know, though, that the Ryzens have been awesome! Just comparing numbers and not taking any Intels for a test drive, they seem to be the best 'bang for buck' deal. And I drool a little every time I think about using a workstation with a Threadripper. I'd have to invent reasons to need all that horsepower. But, like an expensive sports car - who really 'needs' one? But man are they fun!

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shroomster