• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Hard drive recognised as removable drive?

Keith

Mar 15, 2020
New to Pop! OS and Linux in general. I have tried a few distros and like how pop looks after moving the dock to the bottom and installing Gnome Tweaks.

Question... Why does Linux recognise my internal hard drive as a removable drive? I use this drive as a download drive for torrents but i cannot select it as a default download path because it is not recognised as an option to select within qbittorrent. Every Linux distro i have tried had the same problem. Windows did not have this issue.

Please help a Newb out!

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith

Mar 15, 2020
You need to define a mount point for it. GNOME Disks will let you configure mount options for partitions.
Thank-you for the advice. I will give it a try and report back my success or failure! :)

Keith

Mar 15, 2020
You need to define a mount point for it. GNOME Disks will let you configure mount options for partitions.
OK i gave it a go and I need some extra help. When you have a moment could you please tell me how to define a mount point for my drive?

ParanoidNemo

Mar 1, 2020
OK i gave it a go and I need some extra help. When you have a moment could you please tell me how to define a mount point for my drive?
In disk you can select the drive you want to mount and choose the mount point other than automount etc. It's easier than you can thought.

ParanoidNemo

Mar 1, 2020
I got this far but i'm unsure what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ok that's basically the mount point that the system propose. You can use that without problems or you can create a folder (preferably under /mnt but really wherever you want is ok) and use that instead. The display name you can use for, well, choose what name is displayed in the file browser. The mount by part-uuid is ok as it is and also the auto option (it mount with the default options for the given filesystem, that I presume is a NTFS partition). If you check the "show in user interface" it will be visible also in the left dock of gnome.

Reactions: Keith

Keith

Mar 15, 2020
Ok that's basically the mount point that the system propose. You can use that without problems or you can create a folder (preferably under /mnt but really wherever you want is ok) and use that instead. The display name you can use for, well, choose what name is displayed in the file browser. The mount by part-uuid is ok as it is and also the auto option (it mount with the default options for the given filesystem, that I presume is a NTFS partition). If you check the "show in user interface" it will be visible also in the left dock of gnome.
This didn't change anything. I can still not select this drive as a download point for my torrent program, qbittorrent. It still doesn't see the drive when i try to change the default download folder.

I don't know why windows has no issues with this but Linux does.

Anything else to try?

Attachments

ParanoidNemo

Mar 1, 2020
This didn't change anything. I can still not select this drive as a download point for my torrent program, qbittorrent. It still doesn't see the drive when i try to change the default download folder.

I don't know why windows has no issues with this but Linux does.

Anything else to try?
Seems to me really strange. Have you selected in "other location" in qbittorrent? Here works without problems.

Keith

Mar 15, 2020
When i select the drop down menu there is no mention of "other locations" either.

Keith

Mar 15, 2020
Seems to me really strange. Have you selected in "other location" in qbittorrent? Here works without problems.
I also have a USB drive attached to this computer and i am unable to change my download path from the SSD drive that my OS is on to the USB drive. I can read and write to the drive manually but Qbittorent does not see it when i try and change the download path to it.

Keith

Mar 15, 2020
Just tried Transmission bittorrent program and it works.

I really prefer qbittorent though and i am still hoping to resolve this issue.

TheJimmyJames

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2019
Keith, if you create a dir in your home directory, say, ~/torrent and then direct Gnome Disks to mount that volume at /home/yourusername/torrent then it will appear to you as just another directory.

The df command will even show that /dev/foo1 will be mounted at /home/yourusername/torrent. It's a common setup on systems nowadays to use a smaller faster SSD for / and a big spacious HDD for /home

Keith

Mar 15, 2020
Keith, if you create a dir in your home directory, say, ~/torrent and then direct Gnome Disks to mount that volume at /home/yourusername/torrent then it will appear to you as just another directory.

The df command will even show that /dev/foo1 will be mounted at /home/yourusername/torrent. It's a common setup on systems nowadays to use a smaller faster SSD for / and a big spacious HDD for /home
I'll give it a try. I tried updating Pop OS and now the updating process is paused and not doing anything for some reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarryPEthan