• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Hello All

echeadle

Apr 18, 2019
Utah
UPS dropped off a new Darter Pro laptop yesterday and I have spent time getting used to my first linux laptop. It sits next to my Corp. machine, a MacBook Pro. I like the Retina Display a little more than the Darter Pro's IPS. I like the keyboard on the Darter Pro better than the Mac, but the trackpad on the mac seems more responsive.
I thought about getting the Galago with a 13" HiDPI display, but in the end I decided the larger screen and better battery life was worth the trade off.

All in all, the machine is exactly what I thought it would be. I had never heard of System76 before I started looking for a linux laptop. I did not want to spend the +$1000 for a comparable Mac or get a machine where I load linux and throw away windows. After looking on the Web and chatting with the sales team at System76 I decided to get it a try. I have not been disappointed.

The first computer I ever played with was in 1967. if you google "flex machine" and Alan Kay, you will find a polaroid of a line drawing of a computer. The picture was taken from the screen of a computer built by Edward Cheadle, software was done by Alan Kay who went to Xerox Parc and inspired by the work he did with Ed Cheadle, he created a computer Steve Jobs saw, which became the Lisa then macintosh. Ideas were also taken by Microsoft and windows resulted. I have supported windows desktops and servers, novell servers, macs, Solaris, VMS and linux professionally. I like all of them for different reasons.

Anyway that is a long way around to say I have had many computers and worked with many more. I really like the speed and power of the Darter Pro. The OS has been fun to work with has the software I enjoy using.

I have to say, since I started with computers before they could display nice 3d shaded graphics, today's flat icons and themes. To me are ugly. I waited years before computer could render beautiful graphics. Image generators for simulators, that could render shaded 3D graphics cost 100 million dollars. Now you can render nice images on your phone that rival the scene generators of the 70's

Hopefully the flat UX nonsense is just a turn of the wheel and we will get back to nice 3d rendered interfaces. Regardless, POP OS has some nice features I am slowly discovering.

Since the machine arrived yesterday, I have been discovering the various forums and websites dedicated to System76 computers available to me and having fun installing things I enjoy playing with.

I really look forward to using my new Darter Pro, and taking advantage of the various forums to help me learn about it. I am using it for all of the usual stuff email, writing documents. But I am also setting it up for docker, cloud work and learning GOLANG. Although I have learned that System76 uses Rust, I may have to look into that. But right now I am learning Serverless programming at AWS, They support python JS Golang and some others but not rust. Maybe I will look more into rust in the future since there are so many Rust experts working on Pop_OS.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Hi echeadle and welcome, I hope you enjoy the machine and OS experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shroomster