• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Hello from Dallas!

QuesterLEJ

Mar 28, 2019
Hello all,

I've posted a number of threads and replies before now, so I thought it was high time I introduced myself.

My name is Luke, and I live on the outskirts of Dallas, Texas, USA. Lifelong Windows user, except for a three-year stint from 2006-2009 when I used a Mac. I loved the stability of the Mac OS and how it handles software and updates compared to Windows, but I also deeply valued the ability to boot into Windows to run the occasional app, most often a game. Still, I couldn't stomach Apple's holier-than-thou, closed attitude. The last straw was learning that Steve Jobs had been known to park in accessible parking spaces, even before he took ill, just because he could. As a person with a serious disability himself, I almost took Steve's entitled attitude personally. So, I switched back to Windows.

Now, though, amid concerns of Microsoft collecting too much information about its users and other unpleasantness, I've been investigating Linux. It's been slow going, mostly because I'm a gamer and a number of my favorite titles don't run well under Linux, if they run at all. However, I am beyond impressed by the sheer number of titles that are now playable under Linux after a few short months of behind-the-scenes tweaks. I can certainly see myself handling Linux the way I used to run MacOS, running Linux/Pop!_OS as my daily driver unless I need Windows for a game or a specialized software package that doesn't run under WINE.

I've used Pop!_OS in fits and starts over the past several months but I am coming into my own using it now. I've chatted with System76 support on occasion, and they are not only knowledgeable, but they also come across very much as the "anti-Apple": an innovative and forward-thinking company on the one hand, but one that is transparent, open, and engaging with its customers and users on the other. I've proposed a few changes, additions, and enhancements to Pop!_OS recently and have felt empowered in doing so, as if I actually make a difference. Similarly, I've recently found what could be a bug in an app I frequently use, and I'm communicating with the developer to resolve it.

Looking forward to learning more about Linux and Pop!_OS as time goes on.

dodcel

Apr 25, 2019
Welcome to the forum.

Mr_TimApple

Jul 18, 2019
I'm in Dallas also..welcome!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members