• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Hello!

Knoxtane

Jun 24, 2019
California, USA
Hello Everyone I'm Knoxtane! (Chad) I'm VERY VERY New to Linux. I've only used the DEMO of Pop!_OS until recently, when I installed it on my second PC.

I absolutely LOVE forums and refuse to see them "die".

My Linux history.

Well, so far, almost nothing. I've known about Linux for years but never wanted to risk dual-booting and ruining my PC, which I eventually did in August of 2018. I attempted to Dual-boot Ubuntu with Windows. It worked but then I messed with the boot settings and eventually, wiped the disk. However, I somehow still had GRUB and that's the only thing my PC would boot to. I've built several gaming PC's and messed around with swapping parts but I'm still trying to understand how a BIOS works depending on the MOBO. So in short, I wiped my PC Entirely, not hard to do..but then forgot I didn't have a windows disk..so I had to download the Windows installer and create a bootable USB device and I was saved.

Since then I bought a cheap DELL Optiplex system from E-bay for $172 and I've upgraded it a little bit. with the current upgrades it went from $172 to $282. So, some time went bye and I was talking to someone on Discord or something..not too sure how it happened but I stumbled upon System 76 and how they ship what can be considered both GAMING and Workstation PC's with Linux and this little Operating system called, Pop!_OS. I didn't really think anything of it at the time..then LTT (Linus Tech Tips) recently did a video on S76 and Pop!_OS and said it was all pretty straight forward and not difficult at all to become a Linux user. So, I immediately went to S76's website and downloaded Pop!_OS v 19.04 and installed it on my Optiplex.

Now, you must be thinking "wow for an introduction you typed a lot", where I would say "Yes! I love forums, they are meant to be typed upon!". However, since I am a new user to Linux, unfortunately for me it isn't smooth sailing. I didn't do my research that well and found out my USB WiFi Adapter is not compatible. So, for now I have a really really big and heavy paperweight with a BEAUTIFUL Linux OS on it, waiting to be cracked open. That will happen Tuesday when my Panda PAU06 wireless USB adapter gets here!

Current Linux Project: Dell Optiplex 9010 SMALL FORM FACTOR. Intel Core i7-3770 @3.4GHz / Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz / Crucial BX500 Series 500GB 2.5" SSD / Plan to purchase an MSI RADEON RX 560 Low Profile 4GB GPU (No power connectors needed, powered from Mobo) and keep the 1TB 7200RPM HDD inside.

Okay, so far you're still here! If you'd like to see some history about my Gaming and previous PC builds, continue reading below!
Little background of my PC Gaming history.

T'was 1999, I was 6 years old and I had a "New" HP Desktop. I sat down and watched my older step-brother play this really cool space RTS game called "StarCraft" I had no idea what it was or how to play, but I asked him if I could play. He said sure and I jumped in as Terran and I was brown, Mined some Minerals and created 2 marines...this was at the..4 minute mark? I got killed by a Teal protoss with 6 or 7 zealots. I was hooked Then one year later I started Diablo, the O.G. 1996 Diablo. I didn't get too far and then that PC died and I didn't get back into PC gaming until I was 12 or so, with RuneScape and StarCraft Again. Then I played on some shitty laptop and eventually saved up money to build my own PC in 2014. I know, yeeearrss later.

So, my first build, AMD FX-6300 Six Core Processor / 8GB DDR3 1600MHz / ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB / 1TB 7200RPM HDD / Windows 7 Home. And the rest is history. I'll type the specs of the next PC I built after that and the one I bought after that lol.

Next PC: Intel Core i5-4690K / 16GB DDR3 1600MHz / 120GB Patriot Pyro SSD / 1TB 7200RPM HDD / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB Founders Edition / 750W Thermaltake 80+ Bronze PSU.

Current PC: Alienware Aurora. Intel Core i7-8700 Liquid Cooled with 120MM A.I.O / 16GB DDR4 2666MHz / 250GB Samsung 970 EVO m.2 NVMe SSD / 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD / 1TB 7200RPM HDD / Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Founders Edition / 500W PSU / Windows 10 Home.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knussear