• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

help to install driver or ?

Poiloi

Aug 10, 2020
hi. brand new to pop. worst linux user ever . can't code or read script. cant' even use bash except for copy paste .

just built my 1st build with a b55o mobo . looked at pop forum to see why no ethernet connection. I saw this - https://pop-planet.info/forums/threads/no-rtl8125b-ethernet-driver-support-in-pop-os-20-04.775/ and from there to here - https://askubuntu.com/questions/1213999/how-do-i-get-a-rtl8125-2-5gbe-controller-working-on-18-04-lts . I have the driver r1825 but I don't know how to install it . I've been searching all over the web - found good articles /instructions on how to . every time I try to input the commands I get it wrong . I don't seem to get the hang of cd-ing into the right directories to input the commands ... yet. I could really use some help.

I'm capable of providing info about my system .

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I see @datapoke on the live chat answered with:

yeah idk about 8125 support in newer kernels
I have a b550 and ran into exactly the same problem

you need to go here: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

download the "2.5G Ethernet LINUX driver r8125 for kernel up to 5.6 "
find the download in file manager, right click it, "Extract Here"go into that new
folder in the file manager, then right click in empty space and "Open in Terminal"
in the terminal type, sudo ./autorun.sh
then you should be set

Poiloi

Aug 10, 2020
derpOmattic - wow , thanks a lot. this is progress. I did what you said but I'm getting errors . here's my output at paste bin . is there a better way to put it up here?

what next ? I'll research web for these errors and hopefully find a solution. I appreciate any input . thank you .

Poiloi

Aug 10, 2020
I'm not sure if this might be a dkms problem , or what ?
I just don't have the skills to solve this on my own .

I'm also getting a couple of error messages when I'm booting up . - no irq vector handler - I found some info on that but again , I'm not sure how important they are or how they're affecting my system .

Poiloi

Aug 10, 2020
SOLVED -

@derpOmattic and @datapoke on the live chat

I hope you see this big THANK YOU .

after a few minutes of thinking I had these diff errors and it wasn't going to implement I looked up at network icon and it was showing wired connection.

Poiloi

Aug 10, 2020
UH OH. I SPOKE TOO SOON . for some reason it is not working. I don't know where to find the right addresses etc to eneter into when creating a connection . could someone help please. I think this file is showing the 8169 driver as installed . I could sure use some more help ..

thank you again

Attachments

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Everything looks in order. It should be working. Have you rebooted?

Double check the settings are on automatic. Turn off WiFi, then toggle Ethernet off and on. If you can 't see anything in Network Manager, try with nm-connection-editor.

Poiloi

Aug 10, 2020
yes I rebooted. I'm in Mint 20 right now . I had the same exact problem with mint. then earlier today when I read your post and followed the instructions ; I was in mint and since they worked I posted here that they worked -- too soon.

I will check out the nm-connection-editor a little later tonite . thanks a lot for your help .

I'm soo glad to have both of these OS's up and running on my new build . POP is really beautiful. elegant, streamlined, sophisticated .
I'll be back later .

Poiloi

Aug 10, 2020
I'm not able to find nm- connection editor or flathub or flatpack. seems like I saw it once but now can't find it . can someone help .

thanks

Poiloi

Aug 10, 2020
also , I saw diff articles on needing to blacklist 8169- but I didn't have to do that when I installed 8125 drivers in mint 20 per the directions in previous post.

maybe that was done here- " echo "rename r8169.ko to r8169.bak$i" "
I don't know .

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ubu