• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Help us name our next product!

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Denver, CO
evertiro.com
I've posted about this on our Twitter and Mattermost, but there's been some confusion as to what exactly we're building, so I thought a better description was in order.

With the recent unveiling of the Pop!_Planet Community Repository, we've begun working on a related project. Many distributions have a system in place to allow searching their package repositories online. For example, Debian and Ubuntu have Debian Package Search and Ubuntu Package Search respectively, Arch has their Package Search page, not to mention the Arch User Repository, and so on.

Beyond being just a simple repository, we designed the PCR to provide a system similar to the AUR. Our long-term goals include the ability for users to host their own packages through a simple, maintainable system, as well as allowing comments and feedback on provided packages, automated package building, and testing and, eventually, support for systems other than apt.

Building a basic apt repository is relatively simple. Providing a web-based interface for interacting with and managing a repository is significantly more challenging. We quickly learned that there aren't many existing solutions to provide that level of interaction. Those few solutions we could find were either too limited or didn't work as advertised. Eventually, we realized that the only solution was to develop a new system.

The system currently being developed allows interaction with apt repositories already, but we plan on adding at least Flatpak support eventually. Our development roadmap includes the ability to browse and search repositories, comment on and rate individual packages, communicate with package maintainers (file bug reports, request patches, etc.), and upload new or updated packages. Additionally, we intend to design and launch a companion build service that handles automated building and testing of packages for the repository.

We are already well into the first round of development but are currently lacking a name for our new suite. If you have a name or feature suggestion, please let us know here or on Twitter!

Please note the following guidelines when proposing names:
  • While we are building this for Pop!_Planet, we don't want to use Pop-specific branding. The suite is publicly available and isn't intended solely for our use.
  • While the first release only supports apt, future updates should include support for other formats; as such, names shouldn't include "apt," "dpkg," or similar format-specific words.
  • The intention is to provide a large-scale ecosystem around the suite. The suite isn't a singular product that handles everything; it's a core product with supporting modules that add functionality according to need.

• Love
Reactions: Pakatonobr

FlipChip

Mar 7, 2019
I'm not usually very keen to take part in these kind of things ... but for some reason this morning I felt like doing so. Also the fact it came to me in a second ... so here you go.

pHILES!fEZ

Pays homage to the good old 31337 h4x0r days! Has both "files" and "fetch" also you can pull stuff out of hat and use
as logo. And also includes bang for subtle hint that you made this ...

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Denver, CO
evertiro.com
I'm not usually very keen to take part in these kind of things ... but for some reason this morning I felt like doing so. Also the fact it came to me in a second ... so here you go.

pHILES!fEZ

Pays homage to the good old 31337 h4x0r days! Has both "files" and "fetch" also you can pull stuff out of hat and use
as logo. And also includes bang for subtle hint that you made this ...
That's hilarious!

Would something like "Web Managed Package Platform" or "WMPP" work as a name for this?
Possibly!

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Denver, CO
evertiro.com
Well... ORM itself is just the software we're building to control our new repo. Our repo (the Pop!_Planet Community Repository) will run that software and is currently just a traditional apt repository (with the planned addition of multi-user capabilities once we get that far). That said, our goal is for ORM to support virtually any type of repo in the long run.

ParanoidNemo

Mar 1, 2020
Well... ORM itself is just the software we're building to control our new repo. Our repo (the Pop!_Planet Community Repository) will run that software and is currently just a traditional apt repository (with the planned addition of multi-user capabilities once we get that far). That said, our goal is for ORM to support virtually any type of repo in the long run.
Thank you for the explanation. I was thinking of something different but that a good swing too. Hope that I can help (doesn't know much about apt etc right now)

prozac11

Mar 29, 2019
PUT or PUTT

A light golf stroke made on the putting green in an effort to place the ball into the hole.

C-MAN-GALAXY

May 2, 2020
Few ideas...

CPR (community pop repo)
Community Bubble
Bang!_underscore repo
REPO (Repo for Every Pop Operator)
Reposit - play on the word deposit but to go back and do it over again. Kinda the way the community puts value back into Linux and our joined experience of the distro/s.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lehjr