• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Help with wifi on Lenovo x1e. How to upgrade kernel

reform

Oct 1, 2019
Hi there,
Loving Pop!_os! One issue I have is my wifi is not working. I've read that I need to update my kernel to 5.1 or 5.2 (or 5.3 ? ) and with that I can install the correct drivers.
My problem is that I've not found a guide either specifically for pop!_os or for ubuntu that seems to fit my use-case.
Could someone give me some step-by-step instructions for how to do this?
I've also tried to install ukuu but couldn't get it to install.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!
p.

rvb

Sep 27, 2019
Weird, i've installed my X1E using the 19.04 image via USB stick and everything (except for the fingerprint reader) worked out of the box.

IMG_20191001_152015.jpg

reform

Oct 1, 2019
That is weird.
I followed a pretty standard setup. Downloaded the NVidia image. Should I have used LTS?
One thing, I am dual booting from windows, so I've had to create a second EFI (I couldn't resize my windows one). This doesn't seem to have been a problem though.
Can you tell me what intel driver is running? perhaps I can just install that directly without having to faff with the kernel.

rvb

Sep 27, 2019
I just used the 19.04 Nvidia ISO, used Etcher to write the image onto a USB stick.

I encountered a few annoyances i.e. i need workaround to prevent suspend disruption by XHC events. When closing the screen lid, the laptop successfully suspends, but is automatically resumed a second later. This workaround prevents XHC from triggering the ACPI wakeup event.

Bash:
install -m 0755 /dev/stdin /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/xhc <<EOF
#!/bin/sh

## Prevent XHC to trigger ACPI wakeup event
if egrep -q XHC\(.*\)enabled /proc/acpi/wakeup ; then
    printf "XHC\n" >> /proc/acpi/wakeup
fi
EOF
Also the audio levels are very low with the default PulseAudio configuration and some normalization is required to get good audio quality from the builtin speakers.

Bash:
install -m 0644 /dev/stdin ~/.config/pulse/default.pa <<EOF
.nofail
.include /etc/pulse/default.pa
# Create compressed sink that outpus to the simultaneous output device
load-module module-ladspa-sink  sink_name=ladspa_sink  master=combined plugin=dyson_compress_1403  label=dysonCompress  control=0,1,0.5,0.99
# Create normalized sink that outputs to the compressed sink
load-module module-ladspa-sink  sink_name=ladspa_normalized  master=ladspa_sink  plugin=fast_lookahead_limiter_1913  label=fastLookaheadLimiter  control=10,0,0.8
# Comment out the line below to disable setting the normalized output by default:
set-default-sink ladspa_normalized
EOF
Edit: The PulseAudio fix requires the `swh-plugins` package.

Running `pulseaudio -k` will restart the PulseAudio service to use the new configuration without reboot.

Last edited:

reform

Oct 1, 2019
awesome thanks!
I did the same install procedure with 19.04 and etcher... I might do a reinstall.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reclusivescavenger