• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Here is an idea ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 56
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56

Stop breaking things with the updates ...

I'm not going to elaborate and drop any details. That's it for me with this nonsense, I couldn't care any less now what do you do.

It was fun at the times but more than pain mostly.

Keep up the good work!

Getting back to the proper operatin systems,

Bye bye!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Sorry to hear about your experience. Many people have had minor issues, and a couple of more serious ones, due to the kernel upgrade to 5.11. the bugs are being ironed out super quick though. I have had no problem with the latest kernel upgrade or my recent version upgrade.

Adam Kadmon

Jul 25, 2020
I wonder if this is a troll... the **total** lack of details is a little suspicious.

I've had enough things break with Pop!_OS upgrades to fear the more major ones. I got a second laptop (a T420 for <100 USD) to take the edge off that anxiety. I keep work files sync'ed across the two machines and have the extra confidence of knowing that when Pop!_OS breaks, I have my comparatively stable Arch install on standby.

I've pushed on with Pop!_OS because for me the good far outweighs the bad The Pop!_OS devs do an amazing job at staying innovative and aren't afraid to do some unorthodox things, like switching to 5.11 for the LTS kernel (even my Arch LTS is on 5.10).

Also, I really like Gnome, but I wouldn't use it if not for the Pop Shell - simple window managers do me just fine, otherwise.

I have a real appreciation for the System 76 team's work, regardless of the time I've put into troubleshooting my install (most of which taught me a lot and made me more confident with Linux in general). They're out there building a modern, innovative distro for their hardware and are awesome enough to open-source it.

Their keyboard-driven workflow and even surface-level aesthetics also really mesh with me. There's a lot to like.

If OP isn't just a troll, then I assume s/he meant Windows when they wrote "proper operatin' systems", and I think that also says a lot.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I wonder if this is a troll... the **total** lack of details is a little suspicious.
No, it's Flipchip. They have been around a long time. They can be a little cantankerous, but I say that affectionately.

And I couldn't agree more with the rest of what you said. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pranav