• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Hey! I am having trouble installing Pop OS 19.04, I'm a newb, and would like some help

maholeycow

Aug 13, 2019
Hey guys, so I posted here last week to try to get some help installing Pop OS 19.04 on my computer. I want to be able to dual boot for either windows 10 or Pop OS. I am having problems due to my NVIDIA card and BIOS I'm sure.
Besides more memory customization, this is the laptop:
https://www.amazon.com/NP8956-Gaming-Display-i7-8750H-Windows/dp/B07PJM6Q2G#customerReviews
Here is what I have done so far:
  • I downloaded the Pop ISO (with NVIDIA drivers built in), and have tried using both Rufus and balenaEtcher to write a bootable OS to 3 different USB's
  • I have BIOS mode UEFI, so I did things like turned off fast boot, disabled secure boot, etc.
  • When I either restart my computer computer while holding a certain F key, or by clicking restart from Windows while holding shift, I can get to my BIOS boot menu, and I click on boot manager.
  • I select the USB to boot from with the ISO
When I went to try Pop OS with the NVIDIA drivers installed on the iso, I ended up getting to a point where I select my language, and things of the sort. That installer also freezes right after you select your keyboard layout configuration. This also happened when I used the ISO without NVIDIA drivers
Any idea as to what is going on? Any help would be awesome. I have been trying for like a week.

maholeycow

Aug 13, 2019
I just tested and said English (macintosh), hit select, and it is stuck still at this point.

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
Just curious, try with the Intel/AMD ISO. It shouldn't hurt anything, as it is only missing the nVidia driver and if it does install, you can just install the drivers after that.

Try using the LTS version if you haven't already. Not that I expect it to act differently, but if it does then maybe something can be found out why from there.

I would suggest updating the BIOS firmware, but I couldn't find where to download it for that model.

Have you had any problems installing another Linux Distro, such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc?

maholeycow

Aug 13, 2019
Just curious, try with the Intel/AMD ISO. It shouldn't hurt anything, as it is only missing the nVidia driver and if it does install, you can just install the drivers after that.

Try using the LTS version if you haven't already. Not that I expect it to act differently, but if it does then maybe something can be found out why from there.

I would suggest updating the BIOS firmware, but I couldn't find where to download it for that model.

Have you had any problems installing another Linux Distro, such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc?
I also tried to install Ubuntu 18.04 which failed as well. The install screen there just freezes also. It's super disappointing that I can't figure it out!

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
I also tried to install Ubuntu 18.04 which failed as well. The install screen there just freezes also. It's super disappointing that I can't figure it out!
That makes me wonder if there is a BIOS update that would fix the issue, it sounds like the software is doing something the hardware doesn't expect normally.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
That makes me wonder if there is a BIOS update that would fix the issue, it sounds like the software is doing something the hardware doesn't expect normally.
Definitely sounds like some BIOS configuration or software issue. Maybe this will be helpful to work through.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
I had few cases when restoring BIOS defaults solved Linux installation problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shroomster