• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Hi there!

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Hi.

I guess it is time to introduce myself ;)

I'm with computers since ~1988, my "daily driver" was Soviet BK PC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronika_BK). Then, after USSR felt apart, there were 286s, 386s, 486s and Pentiums finally :) DOS and Windows ruled the world at that time and I was busy with fixing the only PC in the house of my parents in law after my brother in law messed it installing pirated games ;)
First glimpse to a Microsoft alternative was BeOS. I was blown away how good it was on Pentiums - you could launch several video player instances playing Matrix with no hiccups. Later BeOS was gone leaving early Linux as an alternative. I was with Linux since first versions of Ubuntu. Tried all of them, I was distro-hopping each 3-6 month in attempt to find most stable, well built and tested one. Until Pop!_OS popped out of the crowd :)

I have latest Pop!_OS on my 2014 MBP, on my daughter's custom deskop, on my son's Asus laptop. All happy ;)

I joined r/pop_os on Reddit and pop-planet.info mainly for two reasons - to be up-to-the-date on Pop!_OS development and help others to get used to this excellent OS.

Regards
ArtūrasB.

Last edited:

sudorm-rf

May 4, 2019
Dallas,TX
graynixer.github.io
Hey there! Welcome to the gang. I used to love BeOS... have you played with Haiku? It's a reminder of the old days...lol.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
have you played with Haiku? It's a reminder of the old days...lol.
No, I skipped Haiku OS so far. I really like what they are doing but the OS isn't ready for the prime time. I'd hope that, i.e., Linux would pick some ideas there, for example, proper multi threading for DEs.
I'd really love to see Pop!_KDE :D. I believe that choice is good, but at the same time I understand system76 are short on such resources. I appreciate their choice to one thing and do it very good.

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
Welcome aboard! Nice to see another old-timer who remembers the pre-386 days!

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Welcome aboard! Nice to see another old-timer who remembers the pre-386 days!
Now, after your reaction, I realized all IT the history behind my back and it struck me on how fast the industry was and how it is accelerating :O
And it hurts in your 40-50ties :D:D:D:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weltknoten